Energy efficient bulbs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi! I have 2 questions regarding energy efficient bulbs:
1) do they exist in different colours?
2) I fitted today 5 downlights with energy efficient bulbs, it seems that intermittently only part of the bulb is on. Did any one experience this kind of a problem? or knows about this?

Sponsored Links
they vary a bit between cool white and warm white. I have not seen any in colours but I expect they are available. i use to know a person in the light bulb trade who sold a sort of coloured rubber sock to put over bulbs to change their colour (he called it a condom) in pub garden festoons and so on

AFAICT the more expensive ones (Philips Comfort or Globes, for example) have a better colour, and cheap (Tesco value) not so good. I notice it as I have several on hall and landings.

If you have the ones with visible tubes, they should light up all the way. If they re blackened or dark at the end they are wearing out or faulty.

Some take a few minutes to warm up to full output.

There was a batch of bulbs going round where only part of the tubes illuminated. Take them back and get some replacements.

Colour CFL's are available (Red, green, yellow, blue). CPC definitely sell them.

i have seen one that looked like an octopus with its head upsidedown

oh, have a pink one

SP18BCEDRED.jpg

Sponsored Links
Thanks, sorry the pink one will not fit into the downlight fitting (GU10), but it was a good try...

Albert, I have the GU10 CFLs like you, and I do notice some segments take longer to warm up to full brightness. They can take 5 minutes to do this, its a case of waiting. However, if some loops are actually extinguishing during use, after the full warm up, this isn't right.

As for colours, the GU10 CFLs aren't widely known of yet, so I dont think they've bothered with different colours. But ordinary CFLs are available in different shades of white, at least.

In our shop, we had some "can" spot-floodlights with 2 CFLs in each, when some blew, the lighting people replaced the broken fittings with new brighter ones, and fitted cold white lamps. The old ones are warm white, almost pink/orange. The new ones stand out like a sore thumb. (Though I find a sore thumb doesn't stand out that much)

They get worse, but none of these are like the octopus ones i have seen

Energy_Saving_Lamp.jpg

Plum_Blossom_Type_Energy_Saving_Lamp.jpg

Color_Spiral_Pagoda_Shape_Energy_Saving_Lamps.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back