tiling on existing wood floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a wooden floor running throughout the living room and kitchen which has been layed on batterns by the look,i now want to tile the kitchen and carpet the living room trying to avoid a major step between the two,im not sure what wood it is but i understand it needs a layer of ply to tile on,what thickness should i use and whats the best method of fixing it down to the existing surface?
its quite solid and plumb and i want to avoid ripping it all up
thanks

Sponsored Links
From an enthusiastic DIY'er -

I'm guessing that you're going to be using ceramic tiles ?

When I've done this before I've used ply; sealing with non waterproof PVA (so that the water in the tile adhesive does not immediately leach away into the wood but still bonds) and then laid the tiles.

Problem is if there is any movement in the floor it will tend to crack the grout. I've overcome this in the past by using silicone sealant. It also means that it's easy to replace a tile if one gets damaged.

Hope this helps?

Andy[/i]

ch427 said:
i have a wooden floor running throughout the living room and kitchen which has been layed on batterns by the look,i now want to tile the kitchen and carpet the living room trying to avoid a major step between the two,im not sure what wood it is but i understand it needs a layer of ply to tile on,what thickness should i use and whats the best method of fixing it down to the existing surface?
its quite solid and plumb and i want to avoid ripping it all up
thanks
Have a read of the sticky.

thanks for that but the sticky only mentions floorboards and chipboard,ive been analysing bal products and it points me to using fastflex straight on the floor as long as there isnt any movement in it to cause grout cracking etc

Sponsored Links
Ideally you should remove the flooring and replace with 25mm WBP ply. If you don't want to do this, you can overboard the flooring with 12mm WBP ply.
Just assume that a real wood floor is floorboards and follow the details in the sticky.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back