Whirring Glow-worm 18HXI

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Now this is embarassing, but it appears our new boiler (nov96) has been making a whirring noise since it was fitted.
We live next to a pub car park and had attributed the deep bass whirring to a boys racer which his fat exhaust arriving and leaving the pub.
Turns out its the boiler.
The noise comes from the boiler itslef but its a system boiler so the pump is upstairs.
What is a causing this, trapped air? and its it really bad for the boiler?
I think its due for a service in nov but should I not wait til then.

My grateful thanks for your expertise (sp?)
Thanks
Tom

Forgot to add its only when the C/H is on, hence the long time for discovery.

Sponsored Links
Fog horn type noise? Usually caused by improper mixture which requires corgi man and flue gas analyser.

Wouldnt explain CH only though.

I assume you mean nov06 in which case glow worm may attend under warranty.

Its not a system boiler, its an open vent boiler :eek: A discontinued old Vaillant ecomax pro.

Sponsored Links
Its not a system boiler, its an open vent boiler :eek: A discontinued old Vaillant ecomax pro.

I think you really mean "its an open vented system boiler"

The boiler does not know if its supplying heat to the rads or the cylinder.

However, the heating load could include closing TRVs.

If you have TRVs try opening them all fully and then see if it still makes the noise.

Tony

PS I used to know a "Tom" in Oxford.

No I meant an open vented boiler, the pump is not part of it. These usually need the pump set on maximum whatever the size of the system otherwise they lock out for lack of circulation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back