HOW TO REWIRE A TWO GANG LIGHT SWITCH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello need urgent help. Whilst preparing walls for replastering came across jumble of cables linked into connectors. Anyway need to rewire new 2 gang light switch but not sure what goes where. There are 3 cables with Red, Black, Earthing on each (total of 6 wires!!!!) the light switch is 2 gang type with Com,L1,L2 on each gang. Can you please advice. I know which is the live feed cable and i have checked the pendent fittings which all have one cable coming from it presumably running back to switch.PLEASE HELP PLASTERER DUE ON MONDAY.Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
i am curious, how do you know which is the live feed?

and how many lights are there

and is there another switch some where else that operates the same lights(s)

See the Wikki for 2-way lighting circuit, but what do you mean by" came across jumble of cables", were they plastered into the wall? in a junction box?in a switch box? You need to establish which cable goes where & for a 2-way lighting circuit you would normally need a 3-core & earth between the 2 switches

Hi thanks for quick response. Original cables where plastered into wallin connectors with tape around. There are two lights in the kitchen working of a 2 gang switch ( 1 switch operates 1 light) with 3 cables running to it, one of these cables is live i have tested with a mains tester screwdriver

See the Wikki for 2-way lighting circuit, but what do you mean by" came across jumble of cables", were they plastered into the wall? in a junction box?in a switch box? You need to establish which cable goes where & for a 2-way lighting circuit you would normally need a 3-core & earth between the 2 switches

Sponsored Links
H thanks for quick response i have tested wires with oneof those screwdrivers that light up!! there are two lights in the kitchen and they operate of a two gang light switch there is no other light switch

i am curious, how do you know which is the live feed?

and how many lights are there

and is there another switch some where else that operates the same lights(s)

So you have three twin and earth cables? Not uncommon.

Were there any short lengths of red core on the old switch, possibly connecting 2 terminals together?

And dont rely on neon screwdrivers - they can be very unreliable, especially testing for dead. Always check with a multimeter or an appliance you know works.

Hi
Yes there was a short length of red wire connecting the two comm terminals. Is this correct and how do i rewire the switch taking into account that i have identified the live feed correctly?

So you have three twin and earth cables? Not uncommon.

Were there any short lengths of red core on the old switch, possibly connecting 2 terminals together?

And dont rely on neon screwdrivers - they can be very unreliable, especially testing for dead. Always check with a multimeter or an appliance you know works.

Sorry Toto I misunderstood your first post: so presumably you have live/neutral/earth on one cable going into the switch & 1 cable going out to each ceiling rose? If that is the case the red live should be connected to common, the neutral put in a connector with the other 2 black wires, the short link should be connected between the 2 commons, the other 2 reds should be connected to L1( 1 to each switch) & the earth wires to to the earth terminal in the switch box( unless you are fitting a metal faced switch, in which case, the earth terminal on the switch). You also need to do something with the cables that were plastered into the walls. Is it possible for you to replace any screw connectors with crimp connectors & push them up through the ceiling?

thanks for that. ihave one light working now. is there any thing else i could try. the bulb is ok

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back