i have a kia sedona and wish to service my own rear brakes.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
there are two gub screws in the drums but no movement in the drums when they are removed. iv'e tried tapping them but am afraid i might damage the abs sensors so do i remove them by undoing the bearings or carry on the way i'm going or use a puller somehow. PLEASE HELP!.

Sponsored Links
A brake drum is held on by the wheel itself and the wheel studs prevent it spinning. The grub screws are to prevent it falling off when the wheels are off.
Don't be afraid to give it a really good thump with a big hammer - use a dead blow if you're worried [hollow filled with pellets or even just a plastic one].
The likelihood is that corrosion has just glued the drum to the hub.
If you can't get it off that way, a set of hydraulic pullers - machine mart, halfords etc, can be set up to force the centre hub away from you while pulling the rear edge of the drum toward you. The trick with these is to tighten them up so it's under pressure and give the drum one swift crack with a hammer and it should come away in one go.
I shouldn't worry about the ABS sensors, so long as everything is switched off they shouldn't suffer.
Whe you re-assemble smear copper grease over the face of the hub to stop it sticking for next time. Also do the face of the drum against the back of the wheel.

THANKS FOR ALL INFO ON SUBJECT. I AM AN OLD SHOOL DIY MECHANIC
(80'S), AND HAVE NEVER HAD A CAR SO NEW AND WAS'NT SURE OF THE PROCEDURE. THANKS ONCE MORE FROM CJ. :

I runaway screaming when someone brings me Drum brakes ....... I hate them with a passion.

But yeah you can happily beat the living bejaysers out of them to get them off, now if you can get the auto adjusters to work efficiently that would be a 1st :cool:

A dead blow hammer is the way to go ...... & don't mangle the springs inside

:p

Sponsored Links
Some drums have a couple threaded holes as well as the grub screws holding the drum in place. You can use these threaded holes to put in a bolt (of correct thread), and wind it in. It then pushes the drum away from the hub. Nifty!

James

Back