Cable Size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My friend has just moved into a new house. He has a detached garage with SWA cable running from the house CU to the garage 2 way CU.

He claims this cable is 16mm SWA however I'm not so sure and think it is 10mm. Could someone please advise to settle an argument, the following is on the side of the cable, Thanks:

BS6724 600/100v AEI 3X10 SOMM

Sponsored Links

Does he need 16 for his requirements? Some people buy a big appliance, then get delusional and "think" the cable is bigger than it really is.

16mm is rated up to 110 amps, 10mm up to 85 amp.

This shrinks due to distance between CU and garage. The detail you've taken from the sheathing dosen't / isn't useful regarding determining the cable size.

What's the fuse rating at the CU for the cable, or if the cable is direct to the network side, what fuse rating is on the CU in the garage?

I would lean towards 10mm with a 40 amp fuse in the garage.

Sponsored Links
The cable is fed from a 40 amp mcb at the house CU, then runs to a wylex RCD two way CU in the garage supplying 1x6amp MCB for lighting and 1x32amp MCB for a ring main in the garage.
Appliance wise he is running a small under counter freezer, tumble dryer, washing machine, PC, microwave and I think that is all I can remember possibly some small power tools every so often.

Do you think this is sufficient??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back