Leak repair compounds: OK for basin wastes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just installed a pedestal washbasin in the bathroom.
It has a slight leak on the underside of the basin waste outlet. This is a bit annoying, since the waste was brand new and I assembled it as per instructions.
Are leak repair pastes effective for fixing this? Or should I just slap a shed-load of silicone on and hope for the best?

Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
Use plumbers Mait.

Roll into a sausage and apply onto the basin hole, then the washer and nut. :D

>Roll into a sausage and apply onto the basin hole, then the washer and nut.<

Thanks, but its too late for that. Everything has been fitted and I can't get to the nut under the waste outlet. So I'm just bunging some leak repair compound on where the nut meets the thread.

Mike

Sponsored Links
You can only use plumbers mait with a brass waste fitting.

You need the sealing compound under the flange inside the basin as well as in the gap from underneath.

If its plastic you have to use silicone.

For both compounds the china has to be totally dry for the best result.

Tony

The waste was weeping near the plastic nut underneath the basin.
I put some leak repair compound on this and smeared a bit of silicone round the perimeter of the metal grill inside the basin. (I also put some silicone under this when I assembled it).

That seems to have done the trick...

Mike

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back