Potterton Prima - intermitant fault - PCB...???!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm new to this forum after doing a bit of research on the net. It appears to be an excellent source of info.

I have an intermittent problem (the best sort) with my Potterton Prima 60F boiler. About five years ago it played silly buggers (it really was doing quite inexplicable things!) and a replacement pcb cured it.

This time the problem is, the solenoid to the main gas valve appears to go through a cycle of shutting on and off at high speed (rattles like anything). I assume that its the signal i.e the pcb. This rattle can come and go when it pleases (sounds painful!). But guess what I am no engineer and unlike the last one who left his bill without curing the problem am at a loss - like him a professional. Could be this, could be that... tadada etc. no help + bill (he came recommended!).

This high speed rattle also sounds as if its a loose electrical connection, but it is the solenoid going into spasms (main burners erratic).

I hope that this is enough info for all those guru's out there.

Many thanks in advance

Lee

Sponsored Links
Its not possible for me to advise you as I would have to test the boiler to see if its the solenoid or the PCB.

I do have to say that I have encountered intermittent solenoids on the White Rogers gas valves which I think are usually fitted to your boiler.

Tony

Hi Tony

Many thanks for your thoughts.

The engineer had advised me that the solenoid is fine as either it works or it doesn't. Who am I to argue...

The symptoms relate to the solenoid which with the above point in mind led me to believe it was the signal (pcb). I'm just a practical office boy with soft white hands!

Changing the soleniod would be the chepeast and first point of call though. Any online suppliers recommended?

thanks

Lee

Tony

Just thought I should mention that I have ordered a red solenoid coil for the Honeywell gas valve from 'Supaspares' - £8.75 plus vat - plus £6.50 plus VAT (boo) for delivery.

This did take a while to track down! No reference numbers or anything for starters - just google, Honeywell, Potterton... trial and error.

If anyone else has any ideas to the original problem, I would sincerely hope for your advice. My new born daughter would also be happy - tug heart strings.

Thank you

Lee

Sponsored Links
What I said was only in relation to the White Rogers alternative gas valve and NOT the Honeywell.

I have never encountered a problem with that Honeywell valve.

The PCB would be the obvious part to have failed but a simple voltage check at the solenoid with a moving voil meter would confirm that.

Tony

Tony

Sorry for the misinterpretation, the only valves fitted I thought were the Honeywell and SIT Tandem (is this the same as the White Rogers one?) - it sounds as it may be, if so excuse my ignorance please.

I will test the voltage tonight when I get home. PCB failure again after only five years! Is 5 years good??? It looks like its failed again - are Potterton that bad with their PCB's?

Thanks for your help

Lee

My potterton prima works when you slide the drayton da 5 valve across, but is tempromental on controls and doesnt come on..

I have replaced Valve, Timer and Thermostat but sometimes comes on sometimes doesnt evern if you crank thermostat to max on wall or push overide on timer.
But will coem on all night if you wedge something in the valve to hold it open.

So boiler seems to be fine once you force the valve across and hold in place... PCB probably 5 years old

Does that rule out the PCB being faulty or do you think the PCB is done ?
as thats about all thats left to change... now.

I'm lost trying to find the problem... anyone got any clues?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back