Kitchen mixer leaking from base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

As the header says, it's leaking from the base of the mixer, where it joins the sink (not the spout). I've put a link here to where i've put a cpl of pictures.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cookie_boy2000

I've felt under the sink where it joins the pipes but doesn't seem to be wet there.

Anyway, can someone give me some idea as to how I remove the whole thing so I can see if it's the washer tat needs replacing?

We've just moved in and it seems to have been in place a while (currently attempting to get the limescale off but I don't want to make the leak any worse!)

It wasn't knocked or anything, but it seems to have just started and now leaves quite a puddle and stain!

thanks

I'm hoping it doesn't require gettng to it under the sink as it's practically impossible!

Sponsored Links
To remove the tap you will have to get to the nut which is under the sink (tricky!)

Are you sure the leak isn't coming from the hot or cold knobs, water could be trickling down the back and pooling at the base.
If so then getting the handle off and replacing the washer /cartridge might fix it.
If not then it's likely to be leaking where the tails go into the tap body, all under the sink.

Looks a bit old tbh, about ten years ish, probably time for a replacement, you could get a new sink and tap for under £100. If you are planning on redoing the kitchen in the near future then there's no reason why you can't reuse the new sink and tap into the new kitchen.

I've you've no intention of changing the kitchen then you can probably get another brown tap if you search hard enough.

I bet the leak's coming from where the swivel-spout links with the tap body. Check at the rear of this and you should find a small screw (some were slotted, others allen) going through the tap body & into a slot cut around the spiggot of the spout. Remove this screw (put the plug in the sink first so you don't loose the screw), lift the spout out of the tap body (gently turning as you go) and you will see an O-Ring. This seal often wears away so should be replaced - you'd be surprised at the amount of water that can leak from here often running down the rear of the tap and puddling like yours. Get a new O-Ring from the plumbers merchant (take the spout with you to so you get the correct size); re-assemble tap. Lubricate the O-Ring before insertion (you should use silicon lube but as this isn't a 'mission critical' seal soap'll do.

thanx for the speedy reply, but it deffo seems to be coming from the base :(

I know this seems REALLY duh!, but any chance of a step by step guide to remove this?

Changing it all isn't really an option at the mo, as we've just (today) had the conservatory finished and ££ are SO low now!

thanx.

Sponsored Links
Do the easy (and cheap) stuff first. O-Ring = pennies, 10 minutes to do. See if it fixes the problem. If it doesn't check the washer/cartridge; washers = pennies, cartridges (pair of tap revivers, complete with knob & cartridge) =£6, 10 minutes to do. If this hasn't fixed the problem then it's under the sink time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back