Floor grout problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had the bathroom floor tiled but then under floor heating didn\\\'t work. So, we removed the floor tiles, put a new heating sytem in and then re-layed the tiles. However, the problem we now have is that the grout just crumbles after a few weeks. I have re-grouted 3 times but it doesn\\\'t make a differnec and ends up looking a real mess. It\\\'s as though the tiles or floor has some movment and therefore the grout works its way out.

Has anyone got any ideas? preferably without ripping all the floor tioles up again, as i think thay may have been discontinued! cheers.

Sponsored Links
We had the bathroom floor tiled but then under floor heating didn\\\'t work. So, we removed the floor tiles, put a new heating sytem in and then re-layed the tiles. However, the problem we now have is that the grout just crumbles after a few weeks. I have re-grouted 3 times but it doesn\\\'t make a differnec and ends up looking a real mess. It\\\'s as though the tiles or floor has some movment and therefore the grout works its way out.

Has anyone got any ideas? preferably without ripping all the floor tioles up again, as i think thay may have been discontinued! cheers.

I have just put in underfloor heating in the bathroom on plywood and while I am yet to grout, I bought some BAL stuff from Topps Tiles. Its flexible and designed specifically for movement in floors. I used their BAL adhesive and was well impressed with ow easy it was to work with, how quickly it set and the flexibility. I am confident in the brand and it looks and feels like good substantial stuff compared to the bog standards B&Q unibond for instance.

At £51.99 for the 10kg adhesive it was twice the cost of unibond and at £9.95 for a 3.5kg grout that isnt cheap either comared to £3-4 for standard stuff but its well worth it.

I was told by the Topps Tiles advisor that its the best stuff on the market . :rolleyes:

Thanks for your message, appreciate it. I'll give it a try. Do you know if you can various colours i.e. beige?

Ive used that Bal stuff for bathroom floor tiles.... Just add it to the grout mix..... someone told me that PVA added to the Grout will do the same at much lower cost.... maybe someone else could confirm that??

What is the sub floor? you problem could be something completely different than you think....

Sponsored Links
What is the sub floor? you problem could be something completely different than you think....
You're on the right track here. I'd bet that we're talking about tiles fitted to floorboards without proper preparation. See the tiling sticky in the tiling section for details.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back