Vauxhall Corsa ECU re-set

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 99T 1.2sxi Corsa and need to replace the idle control valve.I have been told by the guy on the parts desk at my local Vauxhall dealer that when I replace it the ECU will need to be re-set which involves clearing the memory of the computer and restarting it with the latest software downloads. This stinks of a main dealer trying to remove more pennies from my pocket. Does anyone know a trick of the trade for getting round this as the car is on it's last legs anyway and I don't want to throw any more money at it than I have to. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Normally on most ECU'd cars disconnecting the bat for 20 - 30mins is all that is needed. Make sure you have any radio codes to hand before you do.

Thanks Luke. Fitted new idle control valve tonight and disconnected battery for 1 hour and started first time. Running fine now. Thanks again.

hi

what was wrong with your car? how did you narrow the problem down to the idle control valve?

my corsa runs lumpy on tick over (hot and cold). Runs better when the revs are increase to 2500 and above. Fault codes are P0300 - random mulfiple misfire, Also showing codes P0301 - P0304, misfire cylinder 1-4.

I've replace the plugs and coil pack but its just the same.

Next Ive been advised it may be the ecu, however after reading your thread I thought it might be this?

what were your symptoms?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Its very unlikely to be your ECU.

Probably as above or another sensor.

A 99 reg Corsa will not need an E.C.U re-set or upgrade when replacing the EGR valve. To check a valve, remove it from the car, and you will see that the disc on the bottom of it is not sitting closed on it's seat. Pull it shut with a pair of long nosed plies then re-fit the valve. You can leave it disconnected as a temporary repair, although the managemant light will be on.

my wifes 52 plate astra had the light come on, it went to a garage and she was told fault code was the EGR valve, We replaced that then took it back to the garage where they re-set it at a cost of £45, 3 weeks later the light has come on again, any ideas how to turn it off without paying another £45

Been told disconnecting the battery and leaving it overnight OR turn your lights on for about 30 mins and that would re-set it, havent tried any of these yet as i only got told today, whats your thoughts ?

you could try the battery disconnect trick or buy a cheap code reader from ebay for around £20 and do it yourself. you would have a code reader for future use as well then.

Sponsored Links
Back