Baxi 105e instant combi boiler - problem.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello folks, new to this site so please bear with me!

I had a Baxi 105e instant combi boiler fitted around 3 years ago, during the past 6 months - 1 year the following couple of problems have been developing. Firstly, low pressure...which i thought had been sorted by fixing a leaking valve below the boiler ( isolation valve ).... but secondly and this is whats driving me crackers at the moment, the boiler heats the radiators to very extreme standards ie: very hot and unable to touch!... when looking at the boiler the neon that is above the preheat water symbol is flashing....i can usually tell when its happening as it just sounds like the boiler is working on overdrive if that makes sense...plus the fact my house becomes the temperature of a blast furnace :confused: .... this seems to happen during the time i have set my central heating to come on...central heating comes on fine and as timed to do so but seems to go as above and does not turn off unless i turn the water temperature dial back to zero on the boiler... it has been the case that i've had the heating on in the morning, gone to work, come home at tea time to a red hot house and a boiler working overtime!!!.....

Sorry for the long post but i've had the firm out that fitted the boiler and it seems to solve the problem for a while then it just reverts back to the above problem

Help!!!!!!.

Many Thanks

John.

Sponsored Links
What do they do to fix the problem on their visits?

Tony

They fitted a brand new automatic air vent...got the old one in the new ones bag!!!...plus they fitted a new section of braided hosing ( just below boiler ) and a new isolation valve ( the one you can turn to increase pressure on the dial on the boiler )

Sorry i can't be more help!

John.

Fit a new primary flow thermistor

Prt No. 5108265

Sponsored Links
if ya turn the temp down for the dhw does everything work ok? sounds like ya diverter could be passing on the pre heat

if ya turn the temp down for the dhw does everything work ok? sounds like ya diverter could be passing on the pre heat

Yes!.... if i turn the temp back towards the off position the boiler ceases to go mental and radiators turn off....Many thanks, you're a legend!

Just got to solve the pressure problem now!...regularly returns to zero and i have to keep increasing it via the valve ( isolation valve?? )

As it stands at the mo.....

press.jpg

the dial :(

dial.jpg

the valve i turn with a screwdriver at the top of the braided pipe...used to be a turn key thingy at the other end of the braided pipe to the new one but this leaked water so was replaced at the last service.

valve.jpg

Thanks very much for all your help
John.

Check the pressure on the expansion vessel, should be 1 bar with zero system pressure.

Fit a new primary flow thermistor

Prt No. 5108265

Engineer has just been out.... the wrong thermistor was fitted :rolleyes: ...also ordered me a new expansion vessel as thats knackered as well causes my ever fluctuating pressure issue....

Many Thanks for everyones help...its appreciated :cool:

Hello folks, new to this site so please bear with me!

I had a Baxi 105e instant combi boiler fitted around 3 years ago, during the past 6 months - 1 year the following couple of problems have been developing. Firstly, low pressure...which i thought had been sorted by fixing a leaking valve below the boiler ( isolation valve ).... but secondly and this is whats driving me crackers at the moment, the boiler heats the radiators to very extreme standards ie: very hot and unable to touch!... when looking at the boiler the neon that is above the preheat water symbol is flashing....i can usually tell when its happening as it just sounds like the boiler is working on overdrive if that makes sense...plus the fact my house becomes the temperature of a blast furnace :confused: .... this seems to happen during the time i have set my central heating to come on...central heating comes on fine and as timed to do so but seems to go as above and does not turn off unless i turn the water temperature dial back to zero on the boiler... it has been the case that i've had the heating on in the morning, gone to work, come home at tea time to a red hot house and a boiler working overtime!!!.....

Sorry for the long post but i've had the firm out that fitted the boiler and it seems to solve the problem for a while then it just reverts back to the above problem

Help!!!!!!.

Many Thanks

John.

Has any one else had problems with Baxi Boilers?

Has any one else had problems with Baxi Boilers?

Yes I have with a 105 HE that is now sitting in my garage. At under three year old I have had it taken out and replaced with a Worcester Bosch 28i Junior.

I had the pressure problem described above and called out a service engineer (not BAXI) and was told that it was a common problem with the instant model. He suspected the expansion box at the back an orange thing in some sort of cladding with a "car tyre" valve on the top.

My pressure would drop to zero and appear to recharge OK with the little tap but then after a short while it would climb to 2.5 or even 3 bar before ending up at zero again.

This guy said he had been a registered BAXI installer and had fallen out with BAXI over this very issue and gone over to Worcester Bosch as a result.

He would not touch the repair as to change the expansion vessel meant the boiler had to come out and be put back with all the commissioning etc. .... hence expensive and likely to need doing again in another 2 to 3 years! His advice was to sign up for a BAXI maintenance contract then report the fault.

I asked about his WB boilers and he told me about them and left a brochure. For interest sake I asked him to quote me for a replacement but with a less than three year old BAXI this was kind of a throw away thing to do.

A British Gas contract I found was circa £200 a year and the WB boiler installed by the guy I had been talking to came with a 5 year guarantee.
In 5 years the contract would cost £1000 at least if there were no annual increases. I am over 60 so was eligible for £300 from the Governments new scheme. So after some head scratching and mumbling and grumbling about BAXI I rang up and asked this guy to remove my BAXI 105 HE and fit the WB 28i Junior, which he did the very next day (12 May)

There is simply no comparison in my opinion. From its first ignition the WB boiler is so much quieter than the BAXI one I could hardly believe it was working but working it was. OK it is still virtually brand new so the pressure has not wavered and this with all the same heating and DHW plumbing exactly as it was.

I hear that the 105HE is no longer in production and I have to say I have my own suspicions about why! :evil:

What to do with or about the 105HE is my next problem!

fit an additional vessel

Correct advise.

Pherhaps you should have used this site before your so called 'expert 'ripped you of for a new boiler.

New boiler fitted £1500
Additional expansion vessel fitted under £100

Decisions decisions.....................

Hi Guys,

I am over 60 so was eligible for £300 from the Governments new scheme.

Do you know what that is called?

Is it a boiler scrappage scheme ?

The warm front team Tel. No. 0800 316 2805

fit an additional vessel

Correct advise.

Pherhaps you should have used this site before your so called 'expert 'ripped you of for a new boiler.

New boiler fitted £1500
Additional expansion vessel fitted under £100

Decisions decisions.....................

In your words, my " so called 'expert '" never mentioned selling me a new boiler it was my idea having looked at the avenue he suggested of putting the 105HE on an annual maintenance contract so I don't think he was out to rip me off as you put it.

I did read about additional Expansion Vessels but why did the 105HE work OK without one for the first couple of years and then start to play up. If there was inadequate expansion provision in the system why was it not obvious from day one?

The BAXI 105HE's expansion vessel has a dual role from what I read somewhere else, maybe in the manual, so that's another possible complication that an additional vessel might not address.

If you Google for BAXI 105HE problems there are any number of hits and expansion vessel failures feature a lot!

Having bit the bullet and paid out my £1371 for the Worcester Bosch boiler the only regret I have, is that it seems I have little recourse to BAXI (but I have not given up on this yet) because so far the new WB boiler is in a different class to the BAXI one in my opinion.

No more rousing in the night when the "instant heat" fires up and "gurgles" its way round the heat exchanger! Anyone know what I mean? ;)

Hi Guys,

The BAXI 105HE's expansion vessel has a dual role from what I read somewhere else, maybe in the manual, so that's another possible complication that an additional vessel might not address.

Les, we are boiler engineers and we fully understand how these boilers work and we give you correct advice on what can and cannot be done.

I know that you probably think that we are plumbers and as everyone knows plumbers are thick and left school at 15 and plumbing was all that we could ever aspire to do. However, what you think may not necessarily be right!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back