electric window won't work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1995 passat and the d/s window will not work at the same time the electric sunroof also packed up. I have checked the fuses in the fuse panel but all seem ok.

Sponsored Links
i know a lot of problems on newer passats are caused by the convenience unit that is located under the passenger side carpet,water gets into it and causes all sorts of problems,not sure if yours has one but its worth having a look for signs of water ingress

Sponsored Links
Did it suddenly stop working, or have things slowly ground to a halt?

Cleaning and re-greasing the drive cables worked for a 10 year old Volvo when the windows had stopped working. the grease on the cables had dried out and hardened, and eventually the drive motors gave up the unequal struggle.

I finally got round to fixing it after driving for an hour with the drivers window stuck half open in a snowstorm :(

the window was working fine I stopped the car parked up for 5 mins came back and window would not work.I have cleaned connections and looked under the seats for possible connections but no luck.In the Haynes manual a thermal cut out switch is mentioned but no matter how long i look at the wire diagrams I can't find it .

Sorry that this is so late that it's unlikely to be of much use to you, but if, as I did today, somebody finds this question through a search, at least this might help them...

I had exactly the same symptoms a couple of years ago which I fixed this way. It happened again three days ago - driver's side window and sunroof dead as a dodo. The same fix worked again this time...

:idea: To fix it, both times, all I've had to do is remove the door liner, peel back the foam at the front of the door, above the speaker, then partially disconnect the plug to the window motor. It's a very odd plug - you slide the cover on the plug upwards and it pulls/pushes the plug away from the motor. You can see the slider grooves on the shield to figure out how it operates. You might need to fully disconnect it, although I've only ever had to part-remove it.

Then you just push it back together (slide it again) and hopefully - if you're as lucky as me :D - your window and sunroof will work again.

Oh - and a note to the publishers of a very well known manual - as stated in the question to this - the (Haynes) manual for the Passat talks about the thermal cut out for the windows, then directs you to the wiring diagrams to locate it/them. The wiring diagrams don't show anything to do with the electric windows and/or sunroof!

Cheers!

Back