Electric sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I want to fit a new plug socket running the wires from an existing socket on the same wall. The wires from the existing socket come from above the socket, could I run the new wires down the wall and behind the skirting coming back up the wall to the new socket or can I go straight across the wall? :oops: :oops:

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Hi.
I have a fair sized living room that is rectangle in shape. I was a bit astonished to find that I had only 2 X double sockets in one corner of the room only, and total zip for the rest of the room. Even worse, the hallway has only 1 X single socket, and the front pourch zip! Only the kichen is fine.

I am new on here, and sorry to go on moaning. The TV,DVD, and Digibox and answerphone took up the sockets. As for Christmas and where to put the tree, and the lights resulted in stick sockets everywhere. This is dangerous! Trip hazzard for one, plus the risk of fire. I took the care to ensure that the stick sockets had auto cut-outs.

I have worked out that I would like to put an extra double socket in the hall, and four more in the livingroom, and will be surface mounted. If I have to put in a spur, - where is best, and how many sockets can you have running off it?

I know to look for the last socket on the ring with a single cable going in to it. How do you run it back to the ring? Or, do I just keep going along, and then run a long length back along to the junction box?

It would be great to hear from you experts.

Cheers.

Gaz.

Munchin, as you are new on here.

PLEASE do not dig up three-year old topics from somebody else and add your stuff on the end.

It means that people have to read through a whole load of unrelated stuff.

If its your new topic, start a new topic.

In answer to your question.
You can only have one spur off a socket that is already on a ring final.
If you are extending the ring the cable can go from the existing out to the new sockets and then back to the originating socket.
You will need to put a terminal block or similar in the box behind the socket for the return leg.

See the WIKI re socket circuits //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:socket_circuits

and re safe zones for cables //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:installation_techniques:walls

PS. Make sure that the circuit you are extending is protected by a 30mA RCD.

Also, Any socket with only one cable to it is NOT a ring final. It is a spur.Or a radial.

Well spoted! Yes you will need to identify a socket that has two cables in it.

This means that is might possibly be a socket on a ring, but the wiring needs to be tested first to see if it is a ring final (and not a spur with another spur already off it).

It may also be that your house does not have a ring circuit at all.
We would need to know about the fusebaord and a lot of other info to determine this.

Well spoted! Yes you will need to identify a socket that has two cables in it.
Make sure it is actually a ring main though, especially if it's a single socket as there was a time when you could spur 2 single sockets off each other.

Best to isolate the circuit, disconnect the lives from the socket, then test continuity with a multimeter or lamp/battery. If it doesn't light up, it's not a ring main, and may be a spur off a spur.

Monkeh,
I mentioned fire hazzard because the stick sockets cut out and there is scorch marks, and slight melting to some socket holes. All are unplugged at night. I will not take the chance mate.

Gaz.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back