Replace one button switch with a 2 buttons remote switch??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have an old single switch, it has no label, It has a top red wire (so i think its live) and a bottom black cable ( i believe is a neutral) and on the casing its the earth wire which is yellow and green.

I want to install a 2 buttons swith with A & B buttons and I only want to use A for my light and leave out B.

The label on the switch are:
OUT-B OUT-A L-IN N-IN

Can anyone kindly tell me which wire should go where?? DO I have to do some kind of loop wire between OUT-A and N-IN??

Many thanks

Michael

Sponsored Links
The black wire in a bog standard normal switch is normally switched live, it should have a red sleeve on it to correctly identify it but is often ommited. Your new switch has a Neutral connection, is this for convenience or is it important to the operation of the switch? If the latter then this will be no good.
I take it that this is some sort of fancy dimmer switch? You can try it connecting one wire to L-In and the other to Out A and see if that works.

Thanks for the quick reply

I am not too sure what the Neutral is for either, i am trying to get some instruction from the seller, I think its made in china so the terms are a bit different.

I don't get the colour, on the wiki site the colour chart says the Red=Live & Black=Neutral having said that its old, so its pure black no red sleeve like you said.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_wiring_(UK)

I wanted to try the L-in and Out-A method as well, but want to get the facts right first, I think my old fuse box use a wire instead just jump off, just don't want to damage anything.

Michael

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back