soil pipe - plastic or cast iron??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just recently sold my ground floor flat and the buyers surveyor has queried if my bathroom meets requirements. The bathroom had been changed and done up (removal of bath, shower cubical installation and removal of water tank) prior to my purchasing it. My solicitor appointed a company to assess the bathroom and i was told that my current plastic soil pipe must be replaced with a cast iron pipe. I have since had a plumber round, who tells me he'll do the work but if he was installing soil pipes they would be in plastic???
I'm a girl i've no idea, can anyone tell me if i'm wasting my money and should challenge the assessment???

Sponsored Links
The question is; Are the soil pipes internal or external.

If out side then he could well be right.

I have been saying this for years to DIYers.

For flats inside, if it passes through another floor then it has to be fire protected with collars, or mastic

Sponsored Links
Challenge it under the law of "Solicitorum Anii" with your local Sheriff(scottish)..Why does solicitors breath smell....cus they talk out of their arses :eek: alegedly ;)

I have just recently sold my ground floor flat and the buyers surveyor has queried if my bathroom meets requirements. The bathroom had been changed and done up (removal of bath, shower cubical installation and removal of water tank) prior to my purchasing it. My solicitor appointed a company to assess the bathroom and i was told that my current plastic soil pipe must be replaced with a cast iron pipe. I have since had a plumber round, who tells me he'll do the work but if he was installing soil pipes they would be in plastic???
I'm a girl i've no idea, can anyone tell me if i'm wasting my money and should challenge the assessment???

Do I understand correctly ickleshell, when you originally purchased the property the bathroom and soil pipe had already been changed?
The bathroom had been changed and done up (removal of bath, shower cubical installation and removal of water tank) prior to my purchasing it.
If so, and this installation is in contravention of the Regs then you may well have a case against your original surveyor (the one you used when you purchased the flat). He/she should have identified that the soil pipe was incorrect. It would however depend on the survey you had done as to whether it was covered in the survey. However, I am confused as you go on to say...
My solicitor appointed a company to assess the bathroom and i was told that my current plastic soil pipe must be replaced with a cast iron pipe.
Was this at the time of your original purchase? If so, then the fault was identified and you have not taken action to rectify the situation.

More clarity is needed but whatever the case, it sounds as though you will have to replace the soil. Also, is the flat in a conservation area? If so, a challenge to the insistance of Cast Iron replacement I think would be unlikely to succeed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back