External Light Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wish to install external light fitting.
I have installed a new fused spur from an existing power socket on the ring main and intend to run the external light and switch wiring from this fused spur unit.
In order to run wiring (a) to the light fitting itself and (b) to the wall switch, I need to make 4 connections (L,N,E & switch live). However, fused spur unit has only 3 connections. I can achieve this by connecting a junction box to the spur and burying under floorboards, but that is not ideal as future access to the JB will be difficult.
The light fitting itself has only three connectors (L,N,E and I presume this L will need to be the switch live).
Can anyone guide on how to achieve this without the addition of a JB, or am I missing something more obvious here.

Sponsored Links
just take a cable from the switched connection unit to your light switch and block the neutrals together and put lives in L1 & L2 or use a double pole 20A switch they look like a light switch anyway

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back