vaillant combis - hw call boiler fires; ch call nothing.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am a boiler breakdown apprentice, more of an installer, and wonder if somebody could give advice on the "hw call boiler fires, ch call nothing" problem on Vaillant combis.

I haven't been to see the boiler yet but assume the system pressure might be too low on the heating side. Any other ideas???

I ask because there's never the boiler guide with appliances.

Sponsored Links
haven't been over yet. customer was unable to tell me. I reckon it may be a Vaillant TurboMax.

Just looking for an idea. If you're unable to speculate on my limited info I will get back to you on that.

You need to start with checking that there is actually an external call for heat and there is 230V present at the switched live.

Until you prove this lifes a total guess:cool:

Sponsored Links
If you are an apprentice then surely you are working under the guidance of an experienced engineer?

Tony

ps i will make sure the roomstat is up, the heating temp control is up and then that there is 230v power to swithced live. this be from the main cable wiring at the boiler? Electrics not my bag. :cry:

AgileTony,

Not necessarily. But I'm after help nevertheless, Installing is my bag. Gaining exp doing breakdowns working for myself. CORGI registered too.

First check for heating failure, like tony said. As far as I know it is the same trick for every vaillant combi you find. Check for 230 between 3 and 5. If there is, check for 230 between 4 and 5.
Just had a great one on an old combi compact. Weak pump would move the hydraulics, and press the micro switch but not quite enough to actually make the contact every time.
Am I correct saying that #3 is SL, 4 IS RL and 5 is neutral? Never seen any documentation that actually tells you which terminal is what.

chess said:
Electrics not my bag.
It will have to be if you want to do much repairing. Plenty of introductory books about, suggest you get one!

Which guide do you recommend? I've found John Reginald's 'combination boilers: fault finding and repair'. Do you think this would be a worthy buy?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back