DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Turn off water while house is empty?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plumbing and Central Heating
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
abenn

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:55 am Reply with quote

My 1980's house will be empty for six weeks this winter and, due to its age and the fact that I've had to adjust and/or replace toilet cystern valves to stop overflows over the past few years, I'm considering turning off the water at the mains but leaving the heating on low.

I have a 2-year-old "British Gas 330" condensing boiler supplying radiotors and hot water, which is fed by a header tank in the loft. My domestic water supply is also via another tank in the loft -- not direct from the mains.

My question really is, how much water does the central heating system use, assuming no leaks? If I turn off the water, the heating system will have it's header tank full and so should last for six weeks, shouldn't it?

If it does empty the tank for some reason I'm confident that the boiler's control system will switch it off.

What are your views/advice, please?
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
Diyisfun

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:21 am Reply with quote

Why not drain down completly & turn water off at main stopcock
 Alert Moderators
tryitandsee

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:29 am Reply with quote

It seems to be the same dilemma for everyone that goes away for long periods. icon_smile.gif

All things working well before you go,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,then everything goes wrong, strange, it always happens that way. icon_confused.gif

I took all precautions and left everything working, heating on low. The cold water tank ballcock was letting by, small drips, unbeknown to me, should have overflowed outside but didn't because some mug (me) had not attached the overflow pipe to the tank (all in place ready of course).

The damage from small amounts of water leaking is quite amazing.
 Alert Moderators
abenn

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:51 am Reply with quote

Diyisfun wrote:
Why not drain down completly & turn water off at main stopcock

I want to keep the heating running so that the house will be liveable when I get back icon_smile.gif
tryitandsee wrote:
... I took all precautions and left everything working, heating on low. The cold water tank ballcock was letting by, small drips, unbeknown to me, should have overflowed outside but didn't because some mug (me) had not attached the overflow pipe to the tank (all in place ready of course).

The damage from small amounts of water leaking is quite amazing.

That's exactly my concern, though I'm confident the overlow pipe is attached icon_wink.gif But if we get a cold snap, the overflow could freeze up where it exits the building, and cause the tank to then overflow. I thought by turning the water off at the main (without draining anything down) I would minimise this risk.

Hence my question about the advisability of keeping the heating running without any mains supply to top up its tank.
 Alert Moderators
Terrywookfit

from Antarctica

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:57 am Reply with quote

It is not a problem to leave the heating on a low setting whilst away !!

Turning your main stop cock off is a wise precaution as any water damage that could occur is minimised!!
 Alert Moderators
hi-spec plumbing heating

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:57 am Reply with quote

you must really have faith in your heating system.
if it was maintained fully you wouldn't get any problems.
 Alert Moderators
Diyisfun

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:29 am Reply with quote

When you return, switch the heating on with a few hours the place will be warm. Go & do your shopping thats what we do
 Alert Moderators
Diyisfun

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:29 am Reply with quote

When you return, switch the heating on with a few hours the place will be warm. Go & do your shopping thats what we do.
Its about peace of mind
 Alert Moderators
abenn

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:08 pm Reply with quote

Terrywookfit wrote:
It is not a problem to leave the heating on a low setting whilst away !!

Turning your main stop cock off is a wise precaution as any water damage that could occur is minimised!!

Location Antarctica icon_surprised.gif I bet you don't leave your heating off while you're away! Seriously, that's my logic for turning off the water. I've left everything on in past absences, but never for as long as six weeks. But last time I was away for a weekend I came back to find my main loft tank overflowing. It's fixed now, but for a six weeks absence I'll be happier with the water turned off. I was just wondering if there's any good reason for NOT doing that icon_smile.gif

hi-spec: My heating is maintained regularly, which is why I'm confident enough to leave it running.

Diyisfun: Shopping is the last thing I want to do when we get back, so a nice warm house is a must -- instantly icon_biggrin.gif
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plumbing and Central Heating All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: