Upstairs/Downstairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just out of curiosity is there a reg which states that upstairs and downstairs socket circuits should be on separate MCB's/fuses?

My place has one ring for the kitchen and one ring for the rest of the house. I know it's good practice to keep them separate but is there any reg?

Sponsored Links
no.

the floor area must not exceed 100m square

but as there is a high demand in a kithcen its best on its own ring (as you have and so have I)

Thanks Breezer. What's generally done in practice on New Builds? Is it one ring for the kitchen one for the rest of the downstairs and one for the upstairs; or isn't there a standard way? Again, I'm just curious as to how things are done in the real world as opposed to the workshop at college!

Sponsored Links
Every install is different.

If the ground floor is suspended timber, it is likely to have the ring split up and down, as gnd floor wiring is then under the suspended timber floor. Kitchen may then have an additional ring depending on the size of the build.

If the ground floor is a block & beam, or a solid screed, then you would usually split left and right (or north/south as I prefer to label). Again, the kitchen may have a seperate ring depending on the build size.

A typical 3 up 2 down is highly unlikely to have a seperate ring for the kitchen.

depends who is doing it as to if separate ring for kitchen

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back