Strip paint from antique wooden beam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need to strip all the paint from a bunch of old oak beams, the surface is not flat and I don't want to damage the wood too much...

Anybody got any useful tips?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Tim - are the beams in situ or lying on the ground? What finish do you want to apply, new paint or left natural?

In situ, say at ceiling, then it's got to be a hot air paint stripper & scraper. Paint stripper works well but often needs to be neutralised with water; water stains oak quite badly. If you do use paint stripper go for the 'paste & blanket' product as it's less messy.

If the beams are on the ground (or bench), and depending on your experience (confidence), you could try blow-torch stripping - very satisfying.

Thanks for your reply!

The beams are in situ, and I want to leave them natural after stripping the paint.

Looks like I'll be using the hot air gun!

>> If you do use paint stripper go for the 'paste & blanket' product as it's less messy

Hope I'm not being too thick... but whats 'paste & blanket'?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Tim - paste strippers are either, liquid to be applied with a brush (messy), or a paste to be smeared on with a spatular or similar. The blanket, like an open weave fabric, is pushed into the paste. The paste sets (not solid but pliable) and the blanket is pulled away bringing with it old paint.

Hot air is still the way to go, you can also do little bits at a time.

Cheers Symptoms you're a gent.

Someone mentioned using a sand blaster of some discription... Is this method worth concidering?

Tim - sand (or bead) blasters are serious bits of kit and would only be relevent for removing paint and other contaminants (rust, scale, etc.) from metal. They can certainly be used on timber but will, without a doubt, open-up the grain of the wood creating a rough surface. You couldn't really use one in an open room 'cos the abrasive particles would get everywhere; they have to be used in a self-contained booth (where the grit can be recycled and the operator is done-up like an old fashioned deep-sea diver) or out in the open-air.

Hot air is still the way to go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back