Real wood underlay/fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What underlay is recommended when fitting real wood over tiled concrete. B&q products are being used. Also do the planks run the length or the width of the room. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Underlayment depends if your tiled concrete is level, sound (oh, and clean - grease-free).
If all the above, use a combi-underlayment.

Where are your windows? If possible, always install 'with the light'.

I have a bay window on one end of the room and french windows the other. Would I lay towards these.

The wood flooring spec recommends a 'sticky-backed' underlay ,I take it this is ok and does not affect the expansion of the wood.

Sponsored Links
Be careful as to the width of the solid wood you are installing on tiles, basically you are installing a floating floor, and if the boards are wider than 110mm they will be more liable to cupping than a narrower board...BE CAREFUL, keep away from the sticky backed underlay, its crap and difficult to use, i don't know any pro firms who use that type of product, it will drive you potty and you will end up slinging it out, and it isn't cheap either.

If you are going to the expense of buying a quality solid wood then get it professionally laid, don't cheap out and think it looks as easy to do as the b & q advert on the telly, it isn't.....

sorry geeonegee, but in our professional opinion it works the other way around. Boards smaller than 100mm should not be installed floating, but glued down completely. Cupping occurs indeed easier with solid boards wider than 160mm, hence always our recommendation to use wood-engineered boards if you like very wide boards.

As for the Elastilon type of underlayment: depends on the brand. Elastilon, the one's that invented the stuff, is a good brand. It does take some puzzling, trying and patience to work with it, but - when needed - it is a proper solution.

The underlay is by Floormaster. The wood itself is 18mm thick and 120 cm wide. The floor is concrete with a 40 yr old 'plastic' tile covering. Is the sticky u/lay ok or difficult to use, or what would you suggest. Thanks.

Not a fan of Floormaster ourselves. If the underfloor, including tiles, is level you could also use a normal combi-underlayment (DPM + 3mm sound-insulation) and float the floor - glueing all T&G's

Be careful as to the width of the solid wood you are installing on tiles, basically you are installing a floating floor, and if the boards are wider than 110mm they will be more liable to cupping than a narrower board...BE CAREFUL, keep away from the sticky backed underlay, its rubbish and difficult to use, i don't know any pro firms who use that type of product, it will drive you potty and you will end up slinging it out, and it isn't cheap either.

If you are going to the expense of buying a quality solid wood then get it professionally laid, don't cheap out and think it looks as easy to do as the b & q advert on the telly, it isn't.....

Sorry dont agree with the sticky underlay. This is a good underlay and USED by many good fitters. I will agree that it is hard to use if you have not been shown how to use it, but very easy when you know how.

Won't the glue crack when the floor is walked on? Why the 'c' on the end of pva?.

Won't the glue crack when the floor is walked on? Why the 'c' on the end of pva?.
Why would the glue crack?
The official name of the glue - and I always seem to switch round the letters, sorry, is P.A.V.C wood -glue
"a water resistant dispersion glue"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back