taps and leaky joints!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having trouble replacing taps. the old ones came off fine. I have put the cold tap on several times however keep getting a very slow leak at the joint. I have used plumbers mait, ptfe tape and all sorts however still get the leak. should i put the PM on first then the ptfe tape, then do up the collar or is there an easier way that just I don\\\'t knoww about. any help would be greatly received. Ed :confused:

Sponsored Links
I had this sort of problem a while back - nightmare!

I presume your using a tap fitting like this: http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?ts=17854&id=18511

You have to make sure that the pipe is straight and that the fibre washer is seated correctly. You shouldn't need to use any other sealing agent but feel free to do so.

One of my taps suddenly developed a leak from this point after 6 years. I remade the connection umpteen times and each time it leaked. Every time I found that the fibre washer was getting chewed up. As a last resort I replaced the tap and lo and behold everything was fine. It probably isn't the same as your problem but the fact that you've just changed the tap seems suspicious.

Take your time and find out for sure where the leak is coming from - it can be deceptive. The normal copnnection for a tap is a simple mechanical one with a red/brown fibre washer which will ensure no leakes. Problems can occurr with old washers so always change it for a new one, or with damaged surfaces which damage the washer when you tighten everything up. check for these things and you should not need ptfe or PM. If you do want to use ptfe ensure you use plenty on the tap thread. hope that helps

many thanks to you both, I shall give the new washers a go, I find it strange that the leak/bead seems to form half way up the visible part of the threaded shank of the tap?! Off to Homebase then, thanks again for your time.

Sponsored Links
That's where the water appeared on my leaking tap. If you're after fibre washers I'd recommend a plumber's merchant rather than Homebase - buy a few - they're cheaper.

I have just replaced the tap connector under my bathroom sink to fix this sort of problem on the cold tap, but I had to buy a 15mm - 10mm connector.

It doesn't have a washer in it, but the old one I took off had a rubber washer in it.

Should a buy a washer to put in it or will the olive do the trick?

If I do need to buy a washer, should it be a fibre one or a rubber one?

thanks.

Always check bottom of tap to ensure thread has no jagged edges, if found smooth with a file.
Always use flexi connectors with an inbuilt rubber washer, (I have found Screwfix ones to be trouble free and only need to be hand tight)
Plumber Mait is not used for taps, :rolleyes: it should only be used to seal sanitary ware ;) .

thanks,

looks like flexible connectors are the way forward.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back