Repairing Wooden Sash Bay Windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I have a great wooden sash bay windows where the windows do not fit the frames well (let in the cold air) and are single glazed (not well insulated).

Can I get them double galzed and repaired so the frames fit better?
A Tall Order?

Thank you for your help,

Adrian.

Sponsored Links
Adrian

I have used a company called Mighton who do aftermarket kits for sash windows. Have a look at their stuff you should find something there...alternatively try Secondary double glazing or temp window film which does work and is a cheap short term solution..

If you replace the single glazed glass in the sashes with double (no problem if the rebate is deep enough) you will need to increase the size of the counterweights or you will have trouble opening them.

cheers

Jon

hi just have some step units made they fit into the same rebate as single units and the other part of the unit comes into the inside of the sash frame thats all you could get years ago ive glazed many houses with these units including metal framed windows all you need to do is measure the rebate as normal and measure the inside of the sash then deduct a small amount for out of square dont replace with plastic wood is good and they will give you as much insulation as new windows but look ten times as good
go for it

mick

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back