Laminate Flooring....Whole length raised at joints !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had laminate flooring in my kitchen for over a year now and it stll looks good...except...

One strip down the length of the kitchen..about 13ft...has each joint, 4 in total, at the end of each "plank" raised as though it is being pushed from either end.

No other parts of the floor are affected. I can get at either end by removing the dishwasher, at one end...and a small piece of skirting at the other to see if I have left enough of an expansion gap. Is this the likely cause ?

I would have thought that a good clue is the fact that all end of plank joints along the whole length are affected. Also if it proves to be lack of expansion ...would relieving it cure the problem and allow the joints to settle back down ?

Any advice appreciated

But in lieu of that I have excavated one end under the skirting and yes, it was tight to the wall. Cut 10mm off and have put weights on the raised end joints (3) along the length of the room. Will leave for 24 hours to see if the joints can be pressed back. If not a relay of that section I guess ?

Sponsored Links
But in lieu of that I have excavated one end under the skirting and yes, it was tight to the wall. Cut 10mm off and have put weights on the raised end joints (3) along the length of the room. Will leave for 24 hours to see if the joints can be pressed back. If not a relay of that section I guess ?

Has anyone had a similar problem elsewhere ?

Sponsored Links
I checked that first but its dry. It the whole length of the room as well and only on the joints of those 4 lengths of laminate. The other planks either side are fine. I can only suspect that the pressure of expansion has caused the end joints to rise up, weakest point ? I think they will have stressed the click joints so they may never settle down again. In which case I will need to replace them....or move them along a few inches so the joints are not in the same place. I can do that because one end is under a dishwasher so a few less inches wouldn't notice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back