Wiring ceiling lights to a plug?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm new here and hoping someone can point me in the right direction.
Now before I start I'm not an idiot, I have some experience working with small electrical components and wiring but short of wiring plug have never tried wiring anything to mains and my understanding of how it works is... limited to say the least.

What I'm looking to do is install a number of fluorescent strip lights in a cupboard in the corner of a flat I've recently moved into.
The lights are designed to be permanently wired to mains and ceiling mounted, unfortunately theres no wiring where I want to put them, and no access to install any without pulling half the ceiling down.

I was hoping it would be possible to wire them to standard plugs and run an extension lead from a socket on the other side of the room(it seems the only viable solution). Is this possible?

A friend has suggested I could just wire them to a 13amp plug with a switch in the middle and it should work. I'm not so sure, can anyone advise?

(I realise this is probably a stupid question, but I really don't know and don't know where to start on finding out - please humour me!)

Sponsored Links
A 13A plug fused at 3A and then wired to the lights should not be a problem, provided it is done properly. You can use a standard light switch in a single gang backbox if you want, but make sure the cables are properly supported and terminated and you have a continuous earth path between the plug and the light fittings. A better option might be to use flex with an inline switch.

Does this "cupboard" also require ventilation, tin foil, plant pots etc? :rolleyes:

It is perfectly possible to wire these lights into a socket. You'll need glands to grip the 3 core white flex where it exits the light fittings. You can daisy chain the fittings together - so you just have one flex to go to a plug top. You needn't use extension leads - just have the flex long enough to reach the socket.

Does this "cupboard" also require ventilation, tin foil, plant pots etc? :rolleyes:

No, it does not, and I resent the implication. Its a big (9x4ft) space in the corner of the property(the interior layout has obviously been changed since it was built, not sure what the point of it was) which I intend to use as a walk in wardrobe.

Theres a pipe that runs the length of the space, I planned to box it in and mount the lights on that so wiring can be properly supported.

With switches I meant one of the little ones that just hangs in the middle of the flex - sorry I dont know what the proper term for these is. In any case, 3 wire flex is fine to a normal plug providing I make all the connections properly?

I have all the parts, will wire one up and give it a go now. Wish me luck(!)

Sponsored Links
With switches I meant one of the little ones that just hangs in the middle of the flex - sorry I dont know what the proper term for these is. In any case, 3 wire flex is fine to a normal plug providing I make all the connections properly?

Yup. And said switches are inline cord/flex switches.

No, it does not, and I resent the implication.
Apologies, we have had people on this forum before asking advice about such "projects", your description appeared to be one such project at first glance.

Do you have glands to protect the flexes where they exit the light fittings? If you dont, the metal casing of the fittings will wear through the flex, and the flex may get snagged out.

[
Apologies, we have had people on this forum before asking advice about such "projects", your description appeared to be one such project at first glance.

Fair enough, I probably should have given more details in my first post. I'm a customs officer, that kind of thing wouldnt really be appropriate!

Are 'glands' the little plastic screw type things that the cable runs through? I dont, but the hole in the casing of the light has a little soft plastic tube attatched which you push the flex through(to hold it in place and protect it from the sharp edges of the hole) - will that be sufficient?

EK252B.JPG

Also available in white. ;) :LOL:

It depends how rugged you want the installation to be and how well the cables are clipped.

I've just given it a go, didnt work so well.
Thought I'd test it before I went to the bother of putting a switch in and mounting it all. No light, and it tripped the fuse all the sockets are on. I'm sure I've wired it correctly, no loose connections, nothing where it shouldnt be.

Anyone have any ideas?

Do you know how to post a picture? If not click on my signature.

Post us a photo of your connections etc, and we should be able to spot what you have done wrong.

Here we go, I dont have a digital camera so I've taken this on my partners phone, I know its not great quality but its the best I can do.
The pic shows everything I've done, everything else in the light fitting was connected already so I havent touched it. If theres something else it'd help to see let me know and I'll try again close up.

18112007418.jpg

check you have not pushed wire too far into terminals. screw may be tightened on to insulation instead of copper wire. I note you have a 13amp fuse fitted.
:rolleyes:

Thats just the angle of the photo - I know enough to know that mains electric isnt going to coduct through plastic.
Is a 13amp fuse wrong? If so, what should I be using?

Apologies, I didnt notice!

I switched to a 3a fuse and tried again today. Same result as before.

I am thoroughly baffled here :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back