Question about joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I am planning to fit a new upvc front door with a small window at both side of door and is on order. I live in a 1930 3 bed semi-de house. It will sit flush with outer wall, that the problem, there a old porch door with half window at both side of door, it sit about 2 foots from outer wall, when I removed plaster above old door to check if it not loadbearing, there is brickwork and a wall plate supporting floor joists upstair. Only 4 joists.

I would like to remove the porch door, brickwork and wallplate to creat a large hall and in a future time, a porch roof outside with oak bracket shelf, but the joist are also supporting by another wall plate which rest on an oak lintel and in a bad state supporting outer wall and inner wall.
Will I have to get a builder first to replace an oak lintel with a steel one and rebuild brickwork above new lintel and insert a new wallplate before I start work? :?:

I can do plastering wall, electric work, plumbing, decorate, floor tiles. This is something I don't do.

Any idea, advice would be great.

Dan

Sponsored Links
No comprendo, do a picture for us, then we might be able to help.

Sorry about the delay, learning how to do photo, here is it:
STA50052.jpg
and another:
STA50048.jpg

Still a bit confused, are those pics of 2 different walls? ie, do the joists passthrough one and sit on the other?

If so you will have to figure out which one is taking the weight. I would've thought any wall at the end of the joists will be the main loadbearing copmponent, but they could be cantilevered off of the first wall, with the wall at the end just used as infill.

Sponsored Links
Hi.

The top photo is the outer main wall.
The bottom photo is the porch wall.

I had a close look. Behind the plywood panel, there a oak beam, above photo, that support the outer brickwall and inner brickwall with a wall plate in between. There a small gap between the joists and wallplate on outer wall, about 5 - 8 mm. I think the oak beam might has droop a little, outer brickwall look ok. So it mean the joists is resting on wallplate on old porch door.

So the joist would have to be support by props and the outer wall support as well to remove oak beam and replace with steel lintel or concrete lintel, and then infill with brick, the span is 1.5m.

The same pictures taken further away so most of the wall can be seen would help to visualise it a bit better (need ideally to see span and the beam ends).

A couple of initial thoughts
1) no need to change oak beam if span is not increasing and existing appears ok. (gaps don't sound too good though)
2) Special steel lintel would be needed to rest floor joists directly as point loads or a course of bricks on top to use standard box lintel.

As this is a structural issue would suggest contacting your local building control office. ours are very good and most probably would send an inspector around free for a quick opinion on what needs doing or take pictures into their office. Otherwise gets some quotes from local builders and compare their suggestions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back