Split a Plug socket?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a double plug socket on my kitchen wall and need one on the otherside of the wall in my living room. Can i split this socket somehow into two? One on each side of the wall?

Sponsored Links
If you know what you are doing you can leave the double & maybe take a spur from it & have a double in the other side.

At the moment the socket in the kitchen should have 2 x cables as part of a ring circuit (check this 1st).

On the assumption that it has, you need to disconnect one of the cables and via a terminal block connector, terminate it inside the back box and extend this cable down to the new socket through the wall.

To complete the ring again, you then need to run another cable between the new socket and the existing socket. This cable will terminate on the socket in the same positions and the cable you removed and extended down to the new socket.

Simple diagram where ----- = wire and N = new socket and O = existing

Current set up -------------O-----------------

To be set up ---------O----------N--------terminal block--------------

Make sure you position the terminal block so that the socket face doesn't foul it when re-fitted, tape it up for safety.

I thought the OP meant . . .

CM1375-1.jpg

Sponsored Links
At the moment the socket in the kitchen should have 2 x cables as part of a ring circuit (check this 1st).

On the assumption that it has, you need to disconnect one of the cables and via a terminal block connector, terminate it inside the back box and extend this cable down to the new socket through the wall.

To complete the ring again, you then need to run another cable between the new socket and the existing socket. This cable will terminate on the socket in the same positions and the cable you removed and extended down to the new socket.

Simple diagram where ----- = wire and N = new socket and O = existing

Current set up -------------O-----------------

To be set up ---------O----------N--------terminal block--------------

Make sure you position the terminal block so that the socket face doesn't foul it when re-fitted, tape it up for safety.
Wouldn't it be far easier just to take a spur?

Wouldn't it be far easier just to take a spur?

Yes, but since it's the kitchen ring I thought it would be prudent to retain the ring.
I have no knowledge of what the OP's wiring condition or kitchen load is. Although I could guess at kettle, Toaster, Microwave, Tumble Drier, Fridge, Freezer etc

I also like to keep ring circuits pure and avoid socket spurs other than the fused one's.

Odd I know, but my preference :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back