very loud knocking / hammer noise from pipework.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya all

We get a very loud knocking or hammer noise in our house quite often.
It mainly happens when the cold water tap has been running downstairs pretty quick and then is suddenly stopped. A banging noise Boom Boom 2 seconds later bang. In the kitchen is the main water stopcock feed and It sounds like it's coming from around that area - quite hard to tell.

Anyway i can handle a bit of water hammer as i know this can be because of old pipework not secured properly. What i don't like is that this is happening late at night for no apparent reason - When everyone is in bed and the heating is off. Am i right in thinking that this could be caused by our semi detached neighbour making a brew or getting in the bath ?

Tar

Sponsored Links
Start with clipping all the mains pipe that you can find at one metre intervals and see what happens

Sponsored Links
This happens when were in bed and the water and heating haven't been used for a few hours. I'm sure it's something to do with next door.

Do you think it's the pipes that loose then ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back