Mixer tap on unbalanced system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently have a bath mixer/telephone shower tap on an unbalanced supply (mains cold and gravity hot) which causes the familiar problem of overflow from the cold water storage tank due to back pressure from the mains cold supply.
I know its an illegal setup at present but can I put a pressure reducing valve on the mains cold supply and a non return valve to make it ok? Or do I have to just change the taps for singles?

Sponsored Links
Hi Seco thanks for replying but won't that still leave the problem of it being really fiddly to get the mix right from the tap when using the shower because the cold is at such a high pressure being mains fed. Wouldn't the PRV be a useful addition?

for shower purpose yes can make it a pain to get right temp.
but bring the cold down to gravity pressure same as hot will be like showering under a watering can.
put your hot on and lift the shower up to head height and see what thats like. ;)

Sponsored Links
Its only used by the missus to rinse her hair when in the bath so it doesn't have to be a high pressure, more a golden shower type force..... then again my prostate aint what it used to be ;o) :evil:

Thanks for the advice. I will put on a PRV on the cold supply near to the tap and single check valves on both supplies as planned then.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back