Potterton Lynx 2 boiler water pressure switch replacement

V

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My boiler light was indicating low system pressure, even though the gauge indicated 1.0 bar. I tried adding water to the system to increase the pressure. Even at 2.0 bar, the boiler would not operate and the low system pressure light remained on. This was within the normal operating pressure of the boiler, so something was obviously wrong.

The installation manual indicated that a new water pressure switch was required. I obtained part 910026 from interpart and commenced fitting by draining off the system and removing the old part.

Upon inspection, the old switch appeared to be corroded slightly around its base and had a coating of limescale. The female thread attached to the boiler was also furred with limescale so I gave it a good clean.

The base of the female thread did not go down to metal, but rather to a black coating that did not appear to have an aperture. I cleaned it as best I could, but still revealed no aperture. This was surprising, as the new pressure switch would surely require a supply of water in order to function. Is this black coating normal, or could it be the remnants of the old washer?

I fitted the new switch, being careful to use the supplied washer as directed. I brought the system pressure back up to 1 bar and turned the boiler on. The low system pressure light remained on, even up to 2 bar as before.

Should the female thread contain this black coating, or does it need to be completely removed? The black coating looks like a washer around the edge, but has an indent in the centre, still with no aperture. I tested for the presence of an aperture by removing the switch and adding water pressure slowly. No water was seen.

Thanks in advance,
Matt.

Sponsored Links
its blocked,before the start of the female thread try a bit of thin wire or turn it on without the part on and see the pressure of mains water

You should have a hole there,force the ****e out,your old part will be ok,more than likely

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice. Should I remove all of the black material or focus only on the centre?

I am concerned that if the material is supposed to be there that I will cause damage by removing it.

Many thanks,
Matt.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back