Calling advice from all roofers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just been into the loft for the xmas decs. While on my way up, i noted that the landing light bulb, next to the hatch, had water stains on it. Not a good start.

While up there I spotted that this light fitting is right below the valley where the extension roof joins the old roof, and the valley timber appeared to have a damp streak down it, as did a ceiling joist above the light fitting.

Up in the loft, besides the general muck, a few things bothered me. I can see daylight through the tiles in several places, and on almost every row by the party wall. The house is a 1940-50's semi, seemingly built from the scraps leftover by the other houses on the estate. Its like they had nearly enough material left over to build another house, but went ahead and built it anyway. It seems to be built entirely from engineering bricks and thermalite - you just try drilling a hole!

Also, on the side where the extension was butchered onto the roof, the horizontal components of the original roof look as though they've "slipped" off the corner diagonals. See the photos to see what I mean.

DSC01144.jpg

evidence of water penetration from valley.

DSC01142.jpg

DSC01141.jpg

DSC01140.jpg

DSC01138.jpg

DSC01136.jpg

(this is where the old roof meets the valley against the new roof - some of the small horizontals have snapped)
DSC01132.jpg

Do you think they forgot something here? Or just couldnt be bothered with felt etc?
DSC01129.jpg

Nice butcher job.

What do the forum roofers think to the state of the roof?

Sponsored Links
where the purlin joins the hip rafter, it hasn't 'slipped'. far from it.

because the purlin needs to sit beneath the rafters, this means, where it joins the hip rafter, it is likely to have some of the 45 degree mitre cut showing unless you were to use a VERY deep hip rafter.

we normally fix a piece of timber onto the underside of the hip rafter at this particular junction, thus thickening the hip rafter simply to take up the exposed purlin mitres.

by the way, seing daylight through a non felted roof is perfectly normal and can add ventilation to the roof space. ;)

Sponsored Links
The timber works is fine and not slipped. It could do with a couple of struts from the purlin to a LBW though.
As you have been told it's normal to see a certain amount of light in an unfelted roof, especially looking down the angle of tile.
In your case most of the light and wind is kept out by the torching to the roof tiles. (hence no felt)

The broken "horizonal" timber is a tile batten that has snapped while the extension was fitted. The felt should be under the batten I would be interested to see what valley system has been used.... Any more pictures from outside?
Also is the a close up with more light at low level on pic number 6?

We've had some very windy rainy weather lately where the rain comes at you sideways (got caught in it the other night). In this type of weather it's not unusual to get a bit of water in the loft. If it were a regular occurance then your light fitting would show a lot more wet staining than it is, and all the wet timbers would show rot from years of leakage. It doesn't look that way to me, those timbers are sound. I'd check it when the weather settles and you may well find it's all dry up there again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back