Moving a cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking of moving a cooker point from one wall across to another. The current switch is supplied by 6mm cable and by moving the point i will actually be shortening the cable not lengthening it. The cooker in place is all electric double oven and hob and is wired to a cooker point with a plug socket (i wont be putting a plug socket in new location) it is fitted with a 30 amp fuse and cu is 30 amp to. The new cooker is a double oven with a separate hob, i cant find any information on how much power they take except top oven rated A and bottom B. They are AEG multifunction double oven and AEG ceramic induction hob. So to summarize the new cooker probably wont be moe powerful than the old, the difference is that the oven and hob will be wired separately. my main question is is 30 amps enough as everyone keeps saying 45amps for a cooker but that would mean putting in a new ring main. I propose to put a 30amp fused switch for the hob then spur off to another 30amp switch for the cooker does this sound logical or am i getting lost. ps I tried to push for gas but there is no gas point in the kitchen.

Sponsored Links
OK, a few pointers for you.

The cooker switch with a socket is NOT fused, and is likely rated to 40 or 45 amps.

Cooker circuits are radial circuits, not ring mains. The only place ring mains are used is socket circuits. A radial circuit has one cable from the source to the appliance/outlet.

Your new double oven probably needs a 20 amp circuit of its own. Energy efficiency ratings aren't enough to confirm this though.

Your hob will need the 30 amp circuit to itself.

If you dont have a spare fuseway, they could share a 40 amp circuit. Discrimination allows you to get away with having a slightly underrated circuit.

I advise you to seek the advice of an electrician, because since January 2005, work on electrical circuits in kitchens has been legally notifiable to your local building control dept. After paying their fee it may be cheaper to employ an electrician to do the work.

the fact that you are quoting 30A leads me to believe you have an older type fuse or breaker board.. it might be time for a change..

if you can post model numers we can find the info for you and let you know what you will need..

as already said, this work is notifiable to the LABC under Part P of the building regulations..

it will more than likely be faster and cheaper to get a registered electrician in to do the work..

Thanks chaps for your replys. I think i will wait till the cooker arrives and then call an electrician in. One thing im worried about now is you said the cu may need upgrading. The house is about 30-35 years old i didnt think i would need to upgrade the cu yet or any of the wiring?

Sponsored Links
it depends on the state of the existing wiring..

the electrician should do a full test before ( and after ) replacing the consumer unit and will advise you if any circuits need re-wiring along with any remedial work such as bonding and so on..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back