washing machine tripping fuse box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a hotpoint aqualtis washing machine it is three months old in the last month i our fuse box kept tripping and we would have reset it this problem began to get more frequent and there was a burnuing smell after not using the washing machine for a few days we noticed no tripping put on the washing maching the fuse box started to trip when it trips there is black burn mark on the plug hence the burning smell the fuse in the plug is ok it can even tripp if the washing machine is on but not washing eg finished a load but has not been switched off. Our house was rewired eight years ago and wh have had no problems until now with this new washing machine the machine we had before cased no problems we do use extensions with the machine i have replaced them 3 times the drier works with them with no problems hope you can help

Sponsored Links
"black burn mark on the plug"

either the plug or the socket has a loose connection. If there is visible burning on the outside, the inside will be damaged worse.

Both plug and socket should be replaced, and heat-damaged wires cut back. It may be that the charred insulation is leading to the trips.

If you are not competent to do this yourself ask around friends and neighbours for a recommended local electrician. it is preferable to use one who is a member of a self-certification scheme (ask him which one when you phone) even though this particular repair is not notifiable work.

BTW it is preferable not to use extension leads with a heavy load like a washer or drier. See if you can get your electrician to fit a longer flex.

It is also not advisable to use a double socket or adaptor with two heavy loads like washers and driers; one large appliance will use the rated capacity of a socket, whether a single or double one. Double sockets do not have double the capacity.

I agree that the damaged parts has to be changed but this will not solve the cause for the problem.

normally when appliance is installed, I would control it via a SFCU, this will make sure that the fuse will not trip and keep the problem locally. This will as well separate the circuit to 2 parts. If the fuse trips although there is a SFCU it means that the problem is nearer to the fuse and not to the appliance.

The load of the washing machine need to be checked (normally a standard socket would be ok, but not always). The fuse value has to be compatible with the load and the cable size. To check the circuit you will need a registered electrician as advised by JohnD.

I would control it via a SFCU, this will make sure that the fuse will not trip and keep the problem locally. This will as well separate the circuit to 2 parts. If the fuse trips although there is a SFCU it means that the problem is nearer to the fuse and not to the appliance.

I havn't read rubbish like this for a long time :eek:

Sponsored Links
sounds like an overloaded charred plug, and a leakage when something plugged in causing the rcd to trip..

it's leaking across the carbon of the charing when a plug is put in and swithced on..

can the OP do a check for us.. plug something light into the same socket like a radio and tell us if it still trips..

Hi i have tried the drier in the same socket with no problems the trouble with the washing machine plug is that it has a sealed plug only the fuse is acessable so i can not even check the wiring inside the plug and if i cut the plug off and replace it it may void the warranty

If it's under warranty get the supplier to fix it. The plug is moulded on so is undoubtedly a part of the machine you bought.
HTH
V

Hi i have tried the drier in the same socket with no problems the trouble with the washing machine plug is that it has a sealed plug only the fuse is acessable so i can not even check the wiring inside the plug and if i cut the plug off and replace it it may void the warranty

Look in the manual that came with the washing machine, if in there it talks about removing the plug if not suitable and how to correctly wire a new one (cable colours, fuse rating etc.) then removing the moulded plug will not void your warranty. If it were me i would cut the plug off, wire a new one on and not worry about the warranty. I would be more worried about what would happen if i didn't and the over-heated plug caused a fire!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back