Installing a ceiling light...but there the wiring is dead

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We currently have a candle chandelier in our bedroom as the previous occupent had a similar setup. We have decided to put an electric light back on the ceiling and we took down the plaster rose that was up there, and luckily the electric wiring was still there.

However, my father in law tested it and it appears dead! Any suggestions?

Is it likely the cabling has been disconnected? The wiring looks relatively new.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi chippy

How many cables have you got at the lighting point? If more than 1 set of 3 (live, neutral and earth) then at least 1 of them should be live as it should be fed from another lighting point.

If only one, try looking in the switch as this might have been disconnected.

How is the testing being carried out (neon screwdrivers aren't the best things).

If it has been disconnected elsewhere, you'll have to start taking up a few floorboard I'm afraid

SB

How was it tested? If you say "with a neon screwdriver" then go out and buy a Multimeter in the high street for about £10

When did it last work?

What have you altered since it last worked? Have you altered lighting in any other rooms or fittings?

Did you make a diagram and careful notes of all the old wires before disconnecting them?

Hi

There are 2 sheaths, each with a red and black wire. The testing was done with a electrical tester.

The switch was tested and seems fine.

We moved in a couple of years ago and the candle chanedelier was already there, so we have no idea of the electrics history

Sponsored Links
When did it last work?
What have you altered since it last worked? Have you altered lighting in any other rooms or fittings?

Did you make a diagram and careful notes of all the old wires before disconnecting them?

John D, chippy1966 said:

Hi

We currently have a candle chandelier in our bedroom as the previous occupent had a similar setup.

so he will not know when the light last worked, & what wire went where.

To chippy1966

How many cables are there at the light, & what colours are each wire.

As has been said before you may have to go up in the loft & see if you can , find the cable for your bedroom light, & follow it to check if the other end of it is connected.

:eek: do you mean the room was lit by candles and not by electric light? I had assumed you mean an electric ceiling lamp in the style of a chandelier.

we have 2 side lamps from the sockets, but yes, the chandelier was a real candle one.

Other slight problem....we are a first floor flat....so floor boards upstairs are below a carpet!!

:eek: do you mean the room was lit by candles and not by electric light? I had assumed you mean an electric ceiling lamp in the style of a chandelier.

I understood that he meant former, if you are a bit supprised at this, then clearly you have escaped the worst of the "renovate a room for fifty quid" tv programs... :LOL:

Arty farty design 'consulant' pulling a scrapped chandelier fitting from a skip down the road, chopping off the cables on it, scraying it some arwful colour, and jamming candles in the baynout lamp sockets...
*throws up*

Hopefully then you have determined which of the two cables go to the switch. The other one should carry an neutral and permanent live from another lighting point. I'm afraid you'll have to do what I'd have to do - take up that carpet and follow the cable!

SB

If there is no supply at the rose then it MAY have been dis-connected at the loop plate (teminal) in another rose in another room. Worth looking at other roses to see if there is a disconnected cable in (or near) the rose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back