Adding 2 sockets in kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi ppl,

I've just moved into a new old house and wish to add another 2 double sockets in the kitchen. There's only one double there already but I don't know if its on the ring or a spur (will check this later). From what I've read so far, if it's a spur then tough but if it's on the ring then it's tough again as you can only have one spur per ring main socket and I want 2

I'm new to this electrics business as you may have guessed... :)

I suppose i could always extend the ring to the 2 new circuits looping the wire back to the root socket but i'm worried there might be too much cable in the track that i'll have to hack out the wall....

Any ideas?? can i use some sort of fuse with 2 sockets

Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
i don't know of any regs forbidding 2 spurs from the same source although it is widely considered bad proctice

you can use a fused connection unit to have more sockets on a spur but you may have problems with the fuse in it blowing under heavy load

due to load often used in kitchen i.e toaster and kettle on at same time, it would be best to extend ring, you would never have to worry then

Sponsored Links
cheers for the advice....

i'll probably extend the ring, I don't want to start my new house off with bad practices..:). It may be a slightly bigger trench I have to cut out to fit double the cable but i'm sure it'll be safer in the long run.

B

if is a small word with big meaning, but yes, but also not a good idea.

e.g.

I am going to change the sockets to new ones, ah , kitchen fuse, i pull that, opens socket and ................. wrong fuse.

yes you should always check circuit is dead before you are, but its not always done

So are you saying, Breezer, that no room should ever have more than one socket circuit?

If there was a spare space in the CU, surely it would be possible to label it so that someone going to it would see "Kitchen Sockets 1" and "Kitchen Sockets 2"?

Or even both just "kitchen sockets"?

If you were so spectacularly challenged that you wouldn't do a proper check, or switch off both just to be sure, you'd probably not think about turning anything off in the first place....

no i am not sayiong you can not (sockets over a 3 phase board for instance) i am saying you shouldn't also this is a DIY forum

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back