Replacing District Heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The Housing Trust is taking away the district heating system which provides my property with central heating & hot water with individual gas boilers. They have quoted a (silly) price for installing a complete new system including new rads. The existing rads are fine & do not need replacing. I want to choose my own boiler and was considering the Ravenheat HE System Condensing Boiler. apparently you don't need a hot water expansion tank with this. I have a lagged hot water tank but no immersion heater. Is this the correct boiler for my system?

Sponsored Links
How many rads and what boiler was their quote for, did you get any other quotes to compare against ?

It was for 7 rads (not sure whether they were going to replace piping) and a Remeha Selecta - condensing combi boiler. The cost was just under £4K. Also, is it correct that I cannot use a combi boiler as I have a power shower?
No, I have not obtained a competitive quote yet as I don't know whether I need to replace the rads.

Thanks.

Dont buy a boiler unless you can get backup during and after the warranty has ran out. try phoning heating supplers etc and see if you can get anyone who can supply parts or has even heard of it ,i haven't. A combi could give the same or better pressure than your power shower it depends on your mains pressure at the time.

Sponsored Links
do you know what type of boiler they were going to install.
if the company were doing all the flats then for ease of installation they may choose, as you mentioned, either system boiler so you keep your hot water tank or take it all out and fit a combi.

both are pressurised systems and your old rads and pipe work may not cope, so all will need replacing.

you can not use a pump on mains water so it will have to go if you get a combi.

sounds like we are in the same boat, i have been in touch with citizens advice along with others i believe, and intend not to be forced into this situation, i also do not agree with choice of boiler not well known in uk, would much prefer baxi or valliant which are known for their backup service, like i said seek advice if you have not already you may get a pleasant reply.

Staggers me that Housing Assocs (hand-knitted sandals, etc.) fail to appreciate the efficiency gains of 'real' central heating and are ripping them out in favour of less-efficient multiple systems.

On the other hand - I suppose this one may be completely past its sell-by date....

i would be nice if all the freeholders and leaseholders could get together on this one. unfortnatuly the housing trust are unable to give out any imformation, suprise suprise!
anyone else out there in the same position?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back