I've rerouted my radiator pipes and now it won't get warm!

DLR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Can anyone shed any light

I decided to reroute the pipes for the radiator in the hallway, the were on the wall, and then ran under the radiator and then into each end.

I decided to run them under the floor and just have them sticking out of the floor, straight into the radiator connections.

Trouble is now, after replacing the radiator, and getting all the air out of it, the radiator will not get warm, the other radiators in the house do, not this one though.

The radiator is fitted with one standard valve and a thermostat valve, could I have done something to these?

Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
Might be better in the plumbing section!

Either one valve is shut, or there's an air lock, or a blockage. Old trv's can stick shut especially if you've shut them hard. Is the pin stuck down, it should bounce in and out.
To clear an air-lock shut all or most other rads and hope the extra pressure pushed the air out into the rad or away.
Could you have used too much sealant on the rad valves and blocked the pipe? Ptfe stretched over valve end?

So many possibilities:
You've mistakenly connected both ends of the radiator to the flow pipe.
You've mistakenly connected both ends of the radiator to the return pipe.
You haven't opened lock shield far enough.
You havn't set the TRV to a setting that is open.
You've missaligned the head of the TRV.
You've applied too much jointing compound to one of the valves, then retightening it into the radiator, pushed it in to form a big blob covering the end of the valve.
If you've used compression fittings on your mods, any of these could have a similar problem.
You've got an airlock in one of the pipes.
Removing the radiator has disturbed some sludge causing it to fall to the bottom, thereby blocking it.

I'd suggest:
If the head of the TRV is removable, remove and replace, to ensure it is sitting properly. (you may have accidentally discombooberated it).
Check you haven't made the first mistake I mentioned.
Without draining the whole system, close both valves and remove radiator.
Visually inspect both ends of the rad to ensure it is clear.
Take rad out in garden, half fill it with a garden hose, give it a good shake and pour out any sludge (somewhere obscure, it'll probably be filthy).
Open the valves one at a time to make sure water flows out freely.
(this may also have the benefit of removing any air lock that may present.)

Replace radiator, bleed rad, open gate valve, finally top up with filling loop (if required).

happy hunting :)

ChrisR
It's happened again. Just as I'm typing an answer someone goes and sneeks another post in. :oops: I'll just have to type faster, and stop having coffee breaks in the middle. ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the suggestions

I tried again, turning the heating on, and eventually it did come through hot, it was anoter airlock, must have been hiding somewhere then eventually come through

Cheers Again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back