banging pipes - Water hammer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I turn the shower on or a hot tap I get a massive clanging noise and have had this for several months - I am now in a position to get this fixed and called a plumber for advice. He said its most probably water hammer and said that I will need 1 or two devices fitted in to the pipes to stop the water hammer.

He quoted me £92 to fix it - am I being ripped off - can any one beat that - I live in Brum

Ken

Sponsored Links
is it straight after, say open tap 4 seconds then off , noise occurs, or is it after that. it could be float valve in cold water tank in the loft (thats if your system is gravity fed e.g cylinder in the cupboard) then it could need washer replacing or just some simple pipe clips

the water cpmes straight from the main into a combi boiler

Is that all it need pipe clips - why am i being charged 92 quid for that :eek:

if it could be pipe clips then the plumbers still got to find were its clunking from, rip floor boards up. use his time and knowledge, you say its somthing so simple. yet from the start you didnt know the problem.your paying a tradesman for his knowledge not just his labour. i dont mean to have a go at you. but you have to look at it at a tradesmans point of view, he has to cover his time and cost of running a buisness

Sponsored Links
if it could be pipe clips then the plumbers still got to find were its clunking from, rip floor boards up. use his time and knowledge, you say its somthing so simple. yet from the start you didnt know the problem.your paying a tradesman for his knowledge not just his labour. i dont mean to have a go at you. but you have to look at it at a tradesmans point of view, he has to cover his time and cost of running a buisness

If its plastic clips - then I can do that myself - I just thought it may have been a bit more of a technical issue involving pipework.

Incidentally, looking at water Hammer - isnt that caused when you turn the taps off and not to on as is with my case??

Thanks for your input and will have a look of the clips suggestion

Ken

if you turn a tap off to quickly e.g ceramic 1/4 turn ones, it creates a shock wave i.e pipes banging against summit.

if you turn a tap off to quickly e.g ceramic 1/4 turn ones, it creates a shock wave i.e pipes banging against summit.

The banging noise only comes when you turn the tap ON and not OFF

I have read that water Hammer is caused by turning the tap OFF

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back