Crabtree SB6000

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know if the main 100A switch on an SB6000 can be replaced with an equivalent RCD/RCCB (or whatever the correct terminology is)?

I am advised that we need to add an 'RCD' following the building of an extension.

Is it as simple as that or is a new consumer unit required?

Thanks...

Sponsored Links
I think Crabtree SB6000 is obsolete, does it have a range name, like "Polestar" or "Starbreaker" or something? Often has the word "Star" in the name.

Do you know how old it is?

Often parts from one Crabtree range will fit another, but you have to check they are identical.

Crabtree SB6000 has screws top and bottom of the MCB (not the "tongue")

Sponsored Links
I think Crabtree SB6000 is obsolete, does it have a range name, like "Polestar" or "Starbreaker" or something? Often has the word "Star" in the name.

Do you know how old it is?

Often parts from one Crabtree range will fit another, but you have to check they are identical.

Crabtree SB6000 has screws top and bottom of the MCB (not the "tongue")

I suspect that you are right. It does not show any identifier other than SB6000. According to Crabtree, the units first came out in 1992 but I don't know when they stopped making them. As such, I guess spares may be available for it but I do now wonder if it's time to get a new CU and have something up-to-date. I think the Building Inspector may prefer that, too. For the sake of a 'few quid' (especially after spending thousands on an extension!), this may be a wise option, methinks.

Thanks for your input.

if you do have a new one fitted, consider the use of an RCBO on each socket circuit and shower circuit. It is more expensive than a single RCD but means that you do not lose power on all circuits due to a fault on one. this is safer and much less inconvenient. It enables you to carry on living in your house in comfort while waiting for the fault to be fixed.

You could contact Crabtree and see if they make an RCBO to fit your CU. If they do, it may be double-width which means it would only be suitabe if you had unused space.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back