hot water flow from the boiler cold flow from the cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can any body help me. Call me suspicious but having had 5 visits in 2 weeks from a well known gas company to sort out this problem. We have had several parts replaced but the original problem is still there.
As I understand it,we have a pressurised heating system but a gravity fed hot water system, with 2 cylinders(1st one is working fine)2nd one is the problem.
We have hot water from the boiler going into the 2nd cylinder but the return flow is cold. The motorised valve has been replaced twice -due to burning out and the ball valve behind it has also been changed these parts were definately shown to be faulty. I think we have a separate problem but We are also losing pressure, I am having to top it up daily by 1/2- 1 bar. This problem couldn't be sorted as they couldn't find the leak! They did find the expansion vessel was faulty - since its been replaced the rads. work better but still losing pressure.

Since the engineers left we keep finding that we only have luke warm hot water from the problem cylinder. I was told if the flow in was hot but the flow out was cold we have a air lock. I was told to turn down the cylinder stat on the first Cylinder and that will force the hot water to the second one. That works but should I be having to do this daily? and as soon as you use the hot water you have to force fill it again to get further hot water. I am suspicious of this so called airlock as it is happening so frequently. Can any body explain to me what the problem is so that I can help the engineer sort our problem out. I did query with the engineer if the cylinder could have a problem but I was assured not. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
by the sounds of it ya exspansion vessel was flat which would cause the pressure to drop, if they've only replaced it/pumped it up it may jus need the prv replacing. (the seal tends to go after they've been operated which happens wen the exspansion vessel goes) easy way to check is to look outide where ya boiler is fitted they should be a pipe stuck out of the wall, is it dripping?.. as for the water not workin could be jus a air lock, id get the guys bak to check it all out 4ya

Thanks for your suggestion. I have been watching the PRV for drips. Nothing as yet. Any other ideas? Re the cylinder as I said I am not convinced with the airlock.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back