boiler with mind of it\\\'s own

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an alpha 280 and it keeps coming on. Thankfully I have thermostatic valves on all radiators and have had to turn the rads off. I need to get it fixed and someone mentioned it was a faulty diverter. Anyone heard of this?

Sponsored Links
Yep - quick explanation of: If the HW flow switch is stuck ON (or has got wet) the boiler thinks a tap's on so it fires. If the Diverter Valve is still in the resting position (CH) then it's the rads that get hot.

Thanks Guys,

I'll check it tonight but wanted to get Alpha out to have a look. I am being told that the repair will be over £400 which is almost a new boiler.

Doreen

Sponsored Links
Had an identical problem with my Biasi combi and it was indeed caused by the hot water flow micro switch on the divert valve becoming damp. Got a replacement from RS for a couple of quid. Hope this helps.

Hi guys,

Thanks again. I live in Streatham hill, london. Does anyone know of a good plumber that can have a look without charging the earth? I don't think I have the confidence to change that switch and I'm not a plumber.

Thanks

Thanks all. I have just contacted Alpha who will send an engineer and the complete job including replacement of an expansion vessel, sorting the divertor valve and call out is just over £100 which is a little way off the £400 plus of the local firm. How can something vary so much by supposed professionals!!!!!!

Thanks again..

I am NOT advertising but I am a local(ish) CORGI engineer and will gladly help if you can't sort out your problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back