Header tank (expansion) overflowing hot water - Please Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had Header tank (expansion) overflowing hot water continuously, worried about how much temprature this can handle I switched off the heating.

I had called plumbers, who have somehow sorted this but in a strage way, I am not sure.
I'll try to explain below:
- They have cut the cold feed pipe from the expasion tank joined it to the overflow pipe. The heating is working now without any issues.
- Closed the old cold feed pipe, which is joining the system

Is that alright??

History:
- I had clanking noise in my boiler and the boiler was shutting off.
- Called the plumbers who cleaned the system using some Heating system cleaners.
- The boiler noise was still there, so they replaced few pipes because they were clogged up
- The bioler noise went away and CH system was working fine. But I had this Header tank (expansion) overflowing hot water .

Please help.

Sponsored Links
combining cold feed/open vent (not overflow) is ok with some boilers, providing its done properly.

They have combined the cod feed & vent on boiler which has obviously stopped the problem, I'm assuming it was pumping over. There are still issues with the system which need rectifying, ie sludge, pump position in relation to vent, dry vent height. You can expect loadsa replies and suggestions to this post.

combining cold feed/open vent (not overflow) is ok with some boilers, providing its done properly.

Thanks Mick, Appreciate your help !

I am not sure what's the difference between open vent and overflow pipes.

The Feed and Expansion tank following pipes:
- Cold water feed into the tank via mains water supply
- Cold water supply out to CH system
- A pipe coming out of the system (does a U turn above the tank)

They have connected the cold supply to this pipe (with U turn) and shut the other feed out to the system.

Sponsored Links
They have combined the cod feed & vent on boiler which has obviously stopped the problem, I'm assuming it was pumping over. There are still issues with the system which need rectifying, ie sludge, pump position in relation to vent, dry vent height. You can expect loadsa replies and suggestions to this post.

Thanks, Are there any risks involved with this system ??

They had cleaned the system before hand, they seem to think its more sludge and due to microball pipes.

as i said the looped pipe is called open vent. the overflow is the one going from near top of tank to outside.

as i said the looped pipe is called open vent. the overflow is the one going from near top of tank to outside.
Ok thanks,

Does that involve any major risks or it is alright as a short term solution ?

Microball pipes are always likely to block with sludge.

Tony

you might like to have a Magnaclean fitted

they trap black sludge out of the water and are easily emptied

will cost about £100 plus fitting

a cleaning chemical will loosen old sludge so that it is washed away by the circulating water and can then be trapped.

you might like to have a Magnaclean fitted

they trap black sludge out of the water and are easily emptied

will cost about £100 plus fitting

a cleaning chemical will loosen old sludge so that it is washed away by the circulating water and can then be trapped.

Thanks for that, How long can I leave the system in this state, does that cause any complications ?

combined feed and vent in 22mm can be OK depending on the boiler. I don't know more.

I am just a householder but have done some things.

combined feed and vent in 22mm can be OK depending on the boiler. I don't know more.

I am just a householder but have done some things.

Thanks for your help, All

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back