Electric Underfloor Heating - onto chipboard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have an electrician who is going to hook up my underfloor heating up to the existing cooker dedicated RCD.

I told him I would be taking up the existing tongue and groove chipboard and putting down plywood for it (to the tile on top of) and he thought I was crazy.

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether I can use put the underfloor heating and then tile onto this chipboard.

If I could it would be a bit if a godsend

Thanks all

Darrenh

Sponsored Links
I should have said - another option would be for me to lay 4mm plywood over the top.....

Darrenh

What do the UFH manufacturers recommend in their instructions?

Tiling onto chipboard is generally a no no, have a look at the sticky at the top of the tiling forum, then ask there.

Jason

Sponsored Links
I have seen tiling on chipboard but there was an insulated board laid first, then the UHF and tiled with flexible adhesive

chipboard is an awful material. It falls apart if damp, and gives way under heavy or prolonged load.

if you are going to the expense of UFH and tiling, I'd rip it up and replace with WBP ply.

My builder has just laid 6mm ply over chipboard ready for floor tiling. I had expected him to replace the whole floor with 18mm ply, but he said this would be too difficult (which is fair considering that I have stud walls on the existing floor). However I'm looking into underfloor heating and I'm sure that I have seen some companies advise against having just ply on the joists.

FYI I am done a bit more research into UFH. A lot of people say it is damned expensive to leave it on all the time, but since it can take at least 30mins to warm up, in general there is not much choice.

Currently I am investigating putting an additional layer of heat reflective board on top of the ply and then using 200W/m2 matting. This might allow me to put the UFH on full blast for 10-15 mins and get the floor warm enough to the touch (which is all I want as we'll have plenty of room heat from CH towel rads).

Electric UFH is expensive if you are using it as the primary heat source, if its just for a bathroom have it on a timer to come on in the morning & evening to take the chill out of the tiles and use your towel rail to heat the room.

Insulation will make a small difference on the warm up time for upper timber floors but is a must for solid floors.

6mm ply is a bit thin, better with 12mm plus if overlaying the old boards.

Jason

if it is in a bathroom, that's a good reason noot to use chipboard. Sooner or later there will be splashes or leaks and the chipboard will swell up (cracking the tiles) and turn to weetabix

Insulation will make a small difference on the warm up time for upper timber floors but is a must for solid floors.

6mm ply is a bit thin, better with 12mm plus if overlaying the old boards.

Jason

Yes, one supplier told me that insulation boards won't make much difference for my setup.

Yes I thought so too about the thickness of the ply but I wasn't sure. I'll ask my builder about it again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back