hot water lukewarm from combi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,i'm having trouble with my hot water right now and it fluctuates from luke warm to not as nearly hot as it should be.

I have boiler insurance and have called them around and they reckon that the boiler is working fine as the rads are all hot but the fella advised i get a power flush put through to clean out the system as its probably clogged up.

I have a protherm boiler (combi) which is six or so years old and some of the pipes in my house are micro bore,do you think this would work as the flush is around £300 and a couple of plumbing fellas have said its not always guaranteed?

Sponsored Links
Power flushing MAY work but it is not the brilliant process some build it up to be.

I don't know your boiler, but it could be that the plate heat exchanger is blocked, if this has one, so the boiler keeps cycling to overheat and shutting off.

Its an unfortunate fact that many people within the trade use the "powerflush" as a means of boosting profit, they will baffle you with bullsh** and techno words, justifying how expensive it is and covering there ar*es stating it may not cure it, but cheaper than new boiler so its worth a try. Ok I agree it is not always something that a set price can given for. I would definatly not part with hundreds of pounds for something that might not work.

thanks for your answers and yep its a tricky one i'll have to think it through

Sponsored Links
i would agree with gas4you sounds like plate heat exchanger might be blocked, id get this flushed out first before full powerflush, also thermistors might be faulty, they do tend to play up on combi boilers, easy and cheap to replace. Basic checks should be done before leaping to the powerflush scenario. i.e gas pressures, thermistor readings. if the plate heat exchanger is blocked it can be removed and flushed out, you can then have a powerflush to prevent it happening in the future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back