Boiler broken do I fix or replace?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My boiler (Keston 80) has a faulty fan which I can get replaced and fitted for around £400, the boiler is 9 years old and expensive to service. I have the option to have a regular Worcester Bosch boiler fitted for £1200 or a combi option for £2200.

I think fixing the boiler is throwing good money away. So my question is does the extra expense of the Combi payback? We have a 3 bed house with 15 radiators and a washing machine and tumble almost always on the go. Help we have no heating!

Sponsored Links
So my question is does the extra expense of the Combi payback?
No :!:

The extra cost of the combi is made up of several items: the higher cost of the boiler; removal of HW cylinder and F/Tank and associated pipework; alteration of pipework to boiler etc. Some of this is a one-off cost as it should not have to be repeated, so the payback time is however long you live in the house. The boiler will, however need replacing again in 5-10 years.

If you just replace the boiler, the payback time will be shorter; but you may need to factor in the possible cost of replacing the HW cylinder and F/E tank at some time. It might even be worth replacing it now, particularly if the existing one does not have decent insulation.

In both cases it is doubtful if the savings made in fuel consumption over the life of the boiler will actually pay for the boiler but, if you are shelling out a lot on servicing, it may pay for itself. Don't forget that you will definitely need a maintenance contract on the new boiler.

Are you seriously suggesting i should expect to replace a boiler every 5-10 years? The engineer has already said the water tank and pipes etc are all very good and should keep.

I believe the industry accepted norm for the life of a gas appliance is 10 - 15 years, combis being at the lower end of the scale.

Sponsored Links
I believe the industry accepted norm for the life of a gas appliance is 10 - 15 years, combis being at the lower end of the scale.

More tripe!! I have seen combis still working after over 20 years with little maintenance either.

And have you also seen some that need replacing in less than ten years?

None!! They can all be fixed. Those that were economically not worth keeping were always installed incorrectly - and that applies to all boilers not just combis. A combi is a system boiler with an added water section - that's all. They share many of the same components: heat exchanger, burner, controls, etc.

My boiler (Keston 80) has a faulty fan which I can get replaced and fitted for around £400, the boiler is 9 years old and expensive to service. I have the option to have a regular Worcester Bosch boiler fitted for £1200 or a combi option for £2200.

I think fixing the boiler is throwing good money away. So my question is does the extra expense of the Combi payback? We have a 3 bed house with 15 radiators and a washing machine and tumble almost always on the go. Help we have no heating!

The Keston 80:
http://www.keston.co.uk/downloads/pdf/dom-m.pdf

This is a good boiler and simple. It doesn't even have a pcb board. Get the boiler fixed.

A combi has great advantages: instant DHW that never runs out, high pressure showers, saves space with no tanks or cylinders, etc.

If you want the advantages a conbi gives then that is another matter.

To The MOD. I did NOT give unsafe advice. It is legal to work on your own gas equipment. Do not delete posts that give sound advice.

Are you seriously suggesting i should expect to replace a boiler every 5-10 years? The engineer has already said the water tank and pipes etc are all very good and should keep.
Why do you think that a manufacturer's guarantee is often for as little as one year and only the exceptions are for 10 years?

It tells you how long they expect the boiler to last :!:

If a car manufacturer can give a 5 year guarantee without knowing how the vehicle will be used, (they will insist on regular servicing, but so do boiler mfrs), there should be no reason why a boiler could not be guaranteed for a minimum of 15 years.

Cars do have to meet far more stringent standards laid down by the government, EEC etc, while boilers are made to the lowest standard the manufacturer can get away with (gas regulations excepted).

None!! They can all be fixed. Those that were economically not worth keeping were always installed incorrectly - and that applies to all boilers not just combis. A combi is a system boiler with an added water section - that's all. They share many of the same components: heat exchanger, burner, controls, etc.

what a load of crap! hav ya even got any experience of workin on any boiler?

Doctor would you be interested in a business proposition?

We should form a company and supply & install these long lasting boilers you mention, give a twenty year guarantee, subject to fair useage and a maintenance contract, surely we could not fail?

I cannot think why no-one else has thought of it yet?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back