Vaillant VCW-GB-242-EH Electrical Fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks, new to this great forum...

Put the heating on last night and found the rads stayed cold. Investigated to find the boiler not responding to commands from timer or 'summer winter' switch. The system tries to fire the boiler (which immediately shuts off) and the pump runs continuous. This situation remains even with only live and neutral supplied and no switch connections. Hot water works OK though... Can I assume the controller is knackered?. As it stands at the moment, I have to power down the boiler until i need hot water when I'll switch it on until I have finished using it.

Hope someone can help with this one. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
This is an old model, quite complex in the number of components, but not unfixable. As long as you dont disturb the inner combustion chamber cover, or touch the gas supply I have the following tips:-

1. With the outer cover off there is a stainless steel disc arrangement at the bottom of the boiler (bottom centre-front) which is the water section & has 4 pipes connected to it. Has the pin in the centre stuck up?

2. The pin acts on a cam which operates a microswitch and a servo. Has this stuck up?

3. The cam also diverts water to the diverter valve at the bottom right of the boiler, easier to get at with the side cover off (one or two large screws to loosen only.

3a. If the pump is running and there's a min. of 0.5 bar in there, the pump provides the thrust to move the diverter valve right or left.

So my first check would be to check the system pressure, then that the water section pin isn't stuck up or the servo hasn't stuck.

Post back so we can see if that's successful; ego stroking lubricates the typewriter keys!

Mm[/i]

If the hot water switch is not correctly adjusted (ie insufficient clearance) the servo cam can jam (and stick) against the switch lever as it rotates round setting the boiler in permanent hot water mode.

Sponsored Links
Oh good grief!...... yep the rotary cam had stuck, should've looked there first as i had a HW issue a few years back had to change diaphragm and adjust this switch!. Well Thank you so much for such a prompt reply and subsequent quick fix.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back