DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Building close to manhole cover


 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Building
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
newnhambolton

from United Kingdom

Joined: 27 Jan 2008
Posts: 57
Location: United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:51 am Reply with quote

I would like to build a single-storey kitchen extension. However, about 10ft from the outside wall is the manhole cover for the sewers. How close can I build to it? I don't want the cover to be inside the house.

Can I move the manhole cover but still following the existing sewer pipes? If so, how much would it be?

Thanks


Last edited by newnhambolton on Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total
Back to top
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
Diyisfun

from United Kingdom

Joined: 15 Jun 2004
Posts: 6431
Location: Norwich,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 203 times

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:54 am Reply with quote

I had similar problem & building control let me go beyond it, but as you dont want to I think BC will have to approve it.
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
Shytalkz

from United Kingdom

Joined: 22 Feb 2008
Posts: 4865
Location: Norfolk,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 13 times

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:54 pm Reply with quote

Not so much a problem if it's a private drain, as long as the foundations go down to at least pipe invert, if you are within 1m of the drain run.

However, if it's classed as a public sewer (ie serving more than one pre-1936 property), it is the responsibility of the local water company and in this situation, there is usually a wayleave of 3m either side of the centreline of the pipe. It is possible to build within the wayleave, but a) you have to get the agreement of the water company beforehand and b) get their approval as to how you are going to construct the foundations. They tend to get a bit funny about foundations in close proximity and running parallel with the sewer, as they have concerns about lateral movement on the pipe, once you dig alongside it.

Personally, I think those concerns are overstated (although, if it's a pumped main, I can understand their reticence) and have been successful in badgering the one in our area to accepting foundations being well within a metre of gravity sewers, by constructing them in a certain manner. Your local company might be more intransigent, though. First stop, phone your local building control office and they should be able to give you an idea if it's private or public and take it from there.
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
fastneattrowel

from United Kingdom

Joined: 03 Jul 2007
Posts: 372
Location: Ipswich,
United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:54 pm Reply with quote

newnhambolton wrote:
I would like to build a single-storey kitchen extension. However, about 10ft from the outside wall is the manhole cover for the sewers. How close can I build to it? I don't want the cover to be inside the house.

Can I move the manhole cover but still following the existing sewer pipes? If so, how much would it be?

Thanks
you can go within 50m brickwork of the manhole not the cover,, to serparate lay a sheet polysterne against the brick work of manhole,just done same thing and passed, icon_biggrin.gif
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
JohnD

from United Kingdom

Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 36740
Location: Hampshire,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 1375 times

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:56 pm Reply with quote

Back to top
 Alert Moderators
fastneattrowel

from United Kingdom

Joined: 03 Jul 2007
Posts: 372
Location: Ipswich,
United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:57 pm Reply with quote

JohnD wrote:
fastneattrowel wrote:
...50m...


icon_eek.gif
2 inches then icon_cool.gif
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
Shytalkz

from United Kingdom

Joined: 22 Feb 2008
Posts: 4865
Location: Norfolk,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 13 times

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:00 pm Reply with quote

fastneattrowel wrote:
you can go within 50m brickwork of the manhole not the cover,, to serparate lay a sheet polysterne against the brick work of manhole,just done same thing and passed, icon_biggrin.gif


Missing an "m" there, methinks icon_lol.gif . Only if it's a private drain though and foundations muct be to at least pipe invert, as previous post.
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
fastneattrowel

from United Kingdom

Joined: 03 Jul 2007
Posts: 372
Location: Ipswich,
United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:07 pm Reply with quote

Shytalkz wrote:
fastneattrowel wrote:
you can go within 50m brickwork of the manhole not the cover,, to serparate lay a sheet polysterne against the brick work of manhole,just done same thing and passed, icon_biggrin.gif


Missing an "m" there, methinks icon_lol.gif . Only if it's a private drain though and foundations muct be to at least pipe invert, as previous post.
m, missing yes. hey what does pipe invert mean? the man hole i built close to is shared by the neighbour, if you keep the new build at least 50mm away from outer skin of old manhole i think he should not be a problem , not sure if all authorities work the same way, icon_smile.gif
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
Shytalkz

from United Kingdom

Joined: 22 Feb 2008
Posts: 4865
Location: Norfolk,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 13 times

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:18 pm Reply with quote

fastneattrowel wrote:
m, missing yes. hey what does pipe invert mean? the man hole i built close to is shared by the neighbour, if you keep the new build at least 50mm away from outer skin of old manhole i think he should not be a problem , not sure if all authorities work the same way, icon_smile.gif


Bottom of the pipe. If it's got a pea-shingle surround - unlikely with an old pipe - then foundations within 1m of the pipe have to go down to formation level, might be 100mm or so below the pipe invert/bottom. The reason for this is to avoid surcharge loading to the pipe, leading to a fracture, leading to water escape, leading to subsidence.

If it's a public sewer, it's not up to the LA, but the water company, as to what goes. Having said that, I'm sure that there are variations in the way that different LAs/water companies look at the situation; just like there is with every other aspect of Building Regs icon_rolleyes.gif
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
fastneattrowel

from United Kingdom

Joined: 03 Jul 2007
Posts: 372
Location: Ipswich,
United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:20 pm Reply with quote

Shytalkz wrote:
fastneattrowel wrote:
m, missing yes. hey what does pipe invert mean? the man hole i built close to is shared by the neighbour, if you keep the new build at least 50mm away from outer skin of old manhole i think he should not be a problem , not sure if all authorities work the same way, icon_smile.gif


Bottom of the pipe. If it's got a pea-shingle surround - unlikely with an old pipe - then foundations within 1m of the pipe have to go down to formation level, might be 100mm or so below the pipe invert/bottom. The reason for this is to avoid surcharge loading to the pipe, leading to a fracture, leading to water escape, leading to subsidence.

If it's a public sewer, it's not up to the LA, but the water company, as to what goes. Having said that, I'm sure that there are variations in the way that different LAs/water companies look at the situation; just like there is with every other aspect of Building Regs icon_rolleyes.gif
thanks for explaining icon_smile.gif
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
Shytalkz

from United Kingdom

Joined: 22 Feb 2008
Posts: 4865
Location: Norfolk,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 13 times

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:21 pm Reply with quote

No problem, Tractor Boy icon_lol.gif
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
fastneattrowel

from United Kingdom

Joined: 03 Jul 2007
Posts: 372
Location: Ipswich,
United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:50 pm Reply with quote

Shytalkz wrote:
No problem, Tractor Boy icon_lol.gif
yw wyat earp icon_lol.gif
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
newnhambolton

from United Kingdom

Joined: 27 Jan 2008
Posts: 57
Location: United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:00 pm Reply with quote

Any idea what sort of manhole it would be. The semi was built in the 1950s and I think the sewers run across the garden.
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
Shytalkz

from United Kingdom

Joined: 22 Feb 2008
Posts: 4865
Location: Norfolk,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 13 times

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:13 pm Reply with quote

Would have thought it would be brick
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Building All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Similar Topics   Replies   Views   Posted 
Building very close to a hedge 5 100 Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:05 pm
Building Close To Boundry ?? 15 1680 Sun Jun 27, 2004 7:09 pm
Building a detatched garage close to boundary 8 1220 Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:08 am
New door opening close to corner - How close can I go? 7 180 Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:17 pm
How close to the Approved Plans do you have to be? 5 380 Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:28 pm


 
DIYnot
Find an Expert | Find a Supplier | Search DIYnot.com
Network | Advertising | Newsletter
DIY | DIY How To | @home | DIY Wiki | DIY Forum
By using this site you agree to our Terms of Service / Disclaimer.
Please read our Privacy Policy. Copyright © 2000-2014 DIYnot Limited.