cast iron soil pipe renewal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I wondered if you guys could give me some advice. I am fitting a new wc in my bathroom and intend to drill through the wall and pick up the 4" cast iron waste that comes from the WC before going down the external wall. I intend to cut out a 6 foot length of cast using a grinder then fit a plastic pipe using timesaver couplings. The only thing I am a bit concerned about is that to fit the tee piece to pick up the new toilet I need to fit a 90 deg bend and it looks a bit tight to get the bend to come off the t piece and pick up the new WC- can I get a special short radius bend or a T with a socket fitting instead of the marley fitting- or can I use a 67deg fitting and turn the tee to get a shorterrise on it?

any advice would be appreciated - I wonder how much movement I will get on the timesavers and the kwik coupling that will be connecting the t Piece to the WC via a short bit of plastic pipe going through the wall?

Sponsored Links
You can get space saving bends on soil - look around.

I'd rather use fernco type couplings if I were you - they're the rubber collar type with a big jubilee clip at each end. Id also rather just use one at the lower joint and then remake the whole upper part of the stack in plastic. It will look better and I've seen the upper vent part of old cast iron stacks (above the wc) really corroded and paper thin. You'll get a bit of play with either type, but don't try and force it - it's really not the sort of leak you want to be clearing off your patio.

Make sure your existing stack really is 4 inch. They can be 3 or even 3 1/2 which wouldn't work with your 4 inch couplings. Timesaver do a 4-31/2 inch coupling if you need it.

can someone get a link for where to buy these "timesavers" please...i cant find one
thanks

Just find your nearest decent plumber's merchant and they'll have it (or get it for you).

You're really better off with a fernco though...

Sponsored Links
Disagree with the Fernco, I would use timesaver branch with a elbow through the wall, with a short length of cast iron upto the pan connector.

Offer the branch up, and cut exactly the right distance, then you use two couplings top and bottom of the branch, piece of cake and it looks the part.

Drainage center for the bits

Well it certainly would look the part...

I'm not too sure I'd want to advise it to someone who's not worked with CI soil before though.

I think an DIYer is quite capable of putting a fitting over a pipe, centralising it over the joint and doing two bolts up or is it four :rolleyes:

Artisan - thanks for the advice - I actually meant fernco connectors when I called them timesavers - did the job today cut the pipe with a grinder and managed to get a short radius bend to go through the wall - thanks for the advice all of you - the fernco joints were easier than the timesaver type which I have used that before but not on drainage stuff - they are very similar to victaulic type joints which I have used at work
anyway the pipework is all felted over so looks are not that important.

cheers
Jab

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back