Matt/Sheen versus Gloss For Hall Woodwork?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are currently getting quotes for painting our hall and staircase. One of the painters contacted has suggested that we go for a sheen or matt finish for the woodwork as gloss [white] will show up any imperfections. His main concern seems to be that the woodwork (120 years old) has quite an open grain and gloss will show that up far worse than a silk sheen finish.

I should add that the staircase has traditional spindles (square section so no fancy twists or fiddly bits) which all means extra time for preparation.

We said we would be guided by his opinion but now wonder if he was more driven by ease of prep and application than the finished look of it.

Comments welcomed please.

Sponsored Links
He is right..

Flat oil would be a good choice...but not practical for cleaning if its subject to fingers marks etc..

Or eggshell...slightly easier to wipe clean..

Satin...its ok but some satins are not far short of a glass finish.

He is right..

Flat oil would be a good choice...but not practical for cleaning if its subject to fingers marks etc..

Or eggshell...slightly easier to wipe clean..

Satin...its ok but some satins are not far short of a glass finish.
Many thanks Zampa.

We plan to strip the actual handrail back to the wood - either a hardwood or a pitch pine rail not sure which until we uncover a bit more so that should take care of marks. I could always make my grandchildren wear cotton gloves when visiting :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back